Featured 1950s Havard Lock Company Handcuffs

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Heber Richins, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Heber Richins

Heber Richins Heber C. Richins

Now this is a bit of a mystery.. found these back in 2009 under the floor of a really old and deteriorating barn on our ranch... we were taking out the rotted floor of the barn and these were underneath rusted and locked together with a Broken key inside one of the locks.. found the year range, but the weird thing is that the property is in southern Arizona.. by foot its 7 hours from the nearest town.. back in the 1800 hundreds there were a couple towns to the south but by the 1950s they were already ghost towns and they had no jails... what they would do for their prisoners is tie them up to trees with heavy chains.. so it makes you wonder what happened... 20200714_101659.jpg

lloyd249, judy, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

All I could find for information was a couple of pair of handcuffs that had sold for (1) $40. and (2) $60......but nothing on the Harvard Lock Company in New York!!

lloyd249 and judy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those could have been used for bedroom frolics.................;);):):)

lloyd249, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

someone installed a brothel for special tastes in your barn...

lloyd249, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I was going to comment along the same lines but then I thought why do I risk my wholesome image on this forum when @komokwa will surely bring up this possibility!:shame:

Just as planned, I am vindicated. Now I will pretend to be shocked at the implication that Heber's family ranch may have been used for such things.

In actuality we don't know how they got there, the handcuffs could have been used for an almost infinite number of unlikely possibilities. Perhaps there was a mentally unstable aunt locked in the barn kept out of sight so she wouldn't harm herself. These were manufactured back in the days of the asylums where mentally ill people were treated terribly.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  6. komokwa

I was once having breakfast with a young lady....whereupon she told me that if I had a bottle of Champagne & handcuffs...... that would get her hot...& we'd be good to go !!!!
    (true story ! )

pearlsnblume, lloyd249 and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

ONLY Komo!!!!! Of course, HE'LL never tell if he "went" hahahahahaha!!!!! But then a true "Gentleman" never does tell:smug::smug::smug::joyful::hilarious:

pearlsnblume, lloyd249 and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

Thank you , Aqui...
    I've been called a Gentleman ...by worse folks...:happy::happy:
    but that day......I indeed , was !!!;)

pearlsnblume, lloyd249 and Aquitaine like this.
  9. komokwa

That said.....I have 2 sets of handcuffs....& a set of thumb cuffs.......
    & a bottle of Champagne...........

just in case !!!!! :playful::playful::playful::eek::eek::eek:

Aquitaine, pearlsnblume and lloyd249 like this.
  10. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

i'm thinking an escaped criminal might have lost them

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I'm thinking 50 Shades of Grey long long ago. LOL

komokwa and lloyd249 like this.
  12. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

magicians cuffs maybe .half a key is easier to hide.
    they did a lot of navy bells so i think these may have been brigg guard cuff , when i was 15 i got into some trouble in windsor ont. the first night i arrived there , it was 1976 , they were transferring us to the courthouse for a bail hearing , there were 13 of us and the the chain shackles could only handle 12 .So the guard took out his personal cuffs put one on me and the other side he hooked up to the number 12 chain ,as soon as they shut the door i slipped out of my cuff . the number 12 guy decided to do the same , it was not easy for him lol trashed his hand but he got it off . as we arrived to the courthouse we decided to screw with the screws haha i put on the number 12 and he put on the personal one ( they didn't extra lock back then). when the guard tried to unlock me his key wouldn't work , you could see the bewilderment in his face lol so he gets the other key and unlocks and sends me into the holding cell , the number 12 guy comes in and he was laughing his butt off , told me the guards were baffled as to how this happened , it was dec 17 1976 my 16th birthday. these look like guard cuffs

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted