1953 painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by rknarr2, Feb 2, 2019.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

My parents bought this picture in 1953. The artist name is A.E. Wrentmore or Wrentmare and is dated 1953. Dimensions are about 35 1/4"x 27". What style of painting is this, is this a famous painting and what do you think it could be worth? Thank you for your assistance in this matter. Rob
    IMG_7736small.JPG

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    i need help and aaroncab like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Assuming you meant dated 1953. Charming painting but I don't believe it's famous and I can't find anything about the artist doing a quick Google search. At least no one who would appear to be the artist.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Christmasjoy, Fid, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. rknarr2

I edited my date mistake. I could not find anything on this artist after hours and hours of online search. Rob

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I believe the date is 1933 and this is by Rev. Alson E. Wrentmore of Indianapolis.

This is based on quickish genealogy research. Rev. Wrentmore died in 1939 (which is why I reviewed the date -- tough to see, but I believe 1933 is possible). His obituary included the information: "... South Ritter Avenue, where he lived and maintained a studio for landscape painting."

He was also vice-chairman of the Indiana Prohibition Party. :cat:

Christmasjoy, Dawnno, Pat P and 7 others like this.
  5. Jivvy

EDIT: SORRY. I got the obituary date wrong. The obit date was 1959, so the painting could very well be 1953.

Told you it was "quickish" work. :hilarious:

Christmasjoy, Pat P, reader and 4 others like this.
  6. rknarr2

I think he was an artist in Texas. My parents moved there when my father got a job. I was born and raised in Texas until I was 9 years before moving to West Virginia. Rob

7. Jivvy

Okie-dokie.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. rknarr2

I will try to get a better picture of the signature and take a picture of the back. This is a good lead for me to follow. Thank you for the research that you have done on this. Rob

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Jivvy

I am 90% certain about the previous attribution. (ten percent left for the bizarre coincidences I have found in various research endeavors over the years)

bluumz, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  10. rknarr2

My mom, her parents, aunt etc. are from Indianapolis, IN. So, my mom could have inherited this from her mom when she passed away. Rob

Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Or maybe it was a present from her family?

Christmasjoy and rknarr2 like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a very pleasing landscape image........

Christmasjoy and rknarr2 like this.
  13. Jivvy

I'm adding this 1959 article for general info as another person has inquired about a Wrentmore painting.

temp01.jpg

rknarr2 and i need help like this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@science

Please use Private Conversation for Buying and selling inquiries. Click the person’s Avatar. In Blue it will read Start Conversation.

Thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted