1954 MARINES BASKETBALL NATIONAL DIVISION CHAMPIONS VARSITY(?) JACKET

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, Jan 22, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

My girlfriend found this in the back of a closet - I last saw it about a year ago & forgot I had it!
    Just wanted to show it off & maybe get some thoughts on it. :)
    Thanks!

CLOTHES JACKET 1954 MARINES BASKETBALL 1AAZ.JPG CLOTHES JACKET 1954 MARINES BASKETBALL 2AAZ.JPG CLOTHES JACKET 1954 MARINES BASKETBALL 3AAZ.JPG CLOTHES JACKET 1954 MARINES BASKETBALL 3AAAZ.JPG CLOTHES JACKET 1954 MARINES BASKETBALL 4AAZ.JPG

Joe2007 and judy like this.
  2. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

I can't add much except Akron was a big industrial league baseball city at that time. My uncle played on his company team in the late 1940s and early 50s.

Dennis

Joe2007, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I recently was watching Ken Burn's documentary on baseball and they had some interesting stories/photos about amateur teams formed by industrial workers. Seems to have been incredibly common and some companies built baseball diamonds on their land next to the factory. Military men also played baseball extensively when training and on bases around the world. That is how baseball spread in the earlier years and became a national sport. Before that it was mostly just on the east coast.

Akron, Ohio is the rubber/tire capital of the world and once had many large tire factories including Goodyear, Firestone, Goodrich, and several others employing something like 80,000 workers at one time.

4. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Not a basketball on jacket?

Draft saved Draft deleted