Featured 1958 XMAS book ...amusing tips!

Discussion in 'Books' started by Lucille.b, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Got this 1958 book at the Goodwill last year.

book.jpg

Some holiday decor ideas!

chema.jpg

A list of the chemicals they suggest.
    (Disclaimer: Don't try this in 2020!)

chemb.jpg

A few recipes...

egg.jpg
    bal;s.jpg
    fruitcake.jpg

For a Mid-Century holiday look:

lamp.jpg

mobile.jpg

ornamenttable.jpg

Thought I'd share some of my favorite pages.

Happy Holidays Everyone.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Vintage Maven, KSW, stracci and 20 others like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, that looks like fun! Except the chemicals... :)

KSW, stracci, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Made me laugh! Especially the table.

KSW, pearlsnblume and Lucille.b like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

And the mobile for the dining room. Makes me want to go out and get a branch right away. :)

KSW, stracci, Lucille.b and 1 other person like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I hung snowflakes on my dining room light fixture, to be fair. The gelatin salad looks like food. NOT.

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing that. I love the old books that show these ideas and recipes.

KSW and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I gave up after seeing celery. I’m not brave enough to mix pineapple and celery (or throw any chemicals into an indoor fire). Cool book, though!

8. Ally330

Ally330 Weekend thrifter

Lol!!! Imagine going to your friends house for Christmas dinner and she has a decorated tree branch just hanging above her table, the smell of flaming borax is making everyone a little giddy for her celery eggnog flavored sweet potato balls. Ah the 50s. No wonder my mom is a weirdo. Lol

KSW, stracci, JayBee and 4 others like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Snowflakes are traditional Christmas. A bare branch with gray blobs, red balls and a black ribbon not so much.

KSW, Figtree3 and Lucille.b like this.
  10. WolandPetrov

WolandPetrov New Member

Yeah, that is amazing) So old and so actual

KSW, KikoBlueEyes and Lucille.b like this.
  11. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

LOL... the treasures of decorating and entertaining in 1958!

I was born in 53 and my folks had gotten married a few years prior and moved into a new home. Dad chose the colors for interior paint. Burgundy-eggplant purple for the living room walls with giant splashy jungle print curtains in white, greens and burgundy. They were on a very limited budget... and Dad cut huge, beautiful, elaborate snowflakes out of white paper. Candles with holly and berries, sleighs and winter snow scenes, Santa and reindeer... they taped them up on the walls. It is one of the very first things I remember about Christmas! My sister still has them...
    Leslie

lovewrens, KSW, SBSVC and 4 others like this.
  12. Lucille.b

That is a sweet memory Northern Lights. :)

KSW and Northern Lights Lodge like this.
  13. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

The flaming pinecones remind me of a misadventure my brother and sister had one '50s Christmas. The folks were out of town, so siblings had a forbidden teen party. They lit a fire in the fireplace, but no one told them about opening the flue first. The flames went up the wall instead and lit Mom's pine come wreath on fire. It exploded and burned holes in the carpet. Needless to say, everyone involved was grounded, and had to pay for getting the burn spots rewoven.

KSW, stracci, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I think the red and black are simply because the booklet is a 2-color print job on the inside. I doubt they were suggesting black as a good decorating color for Christmas :p

15. Lucille.b

OMG, I'm glad it wasn't worse! Sounds like fun up until that point though. :woot:

KSW and Darkwing Manor like this.
  16. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

What a fun story! Those crazy kids!:wacky:

Lucille.b, KSW and Darkwing Manor like this.
  17. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s never a good idea!
    I came home from work one day to find that my OH had gone shopping for kitchen paint and he let a three year old choose the colour. When I said pale green I had ideas of classy country sage or a delicate duck egg colour. I did NOT envisage bright effing pea green:eek:. He did something similar in the bathroom of the previous house where ‘coral’ turned out to be an eye-wateringly flaming orange. He couldn’t even blame a child that time but he hasn’t picked a paint colour since :joyful:.

Figtree3 and Lucille.b like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No one else had a flaming orange bathroom on the whole block. Bright pea green sounds rather appropriate for a kitchen. Little kids like BRIGHT colors. Voice of experience. You should have seen the bedroom wallpaper I picked when I was five or so.(LOL) OTOH I still liked it when we took it down decades later.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I forgot to add he painted one wall of the kitchen and the whole bathroom before I saw it :eek:. Sitting here I can still see the pea green peeking out from under nice sage green paint on a spot where it went onto the coving.

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted