Featured 1960's 2 piece dress & coat

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by billyd3us, Feb 8, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I believe this is a 1960's era dress and coat, maybe 50's also.
    Though I cannot find anything on clothing from this Spa. I wonder why it's called Harbor Island Spa. Is this some type of day spa outfit for the wealthy or something else ?
    I have been searching for days and still no luck, help Billy The Kid....

Thank You

Billy D. 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG 011.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're right re era. 1960s. Dana's would have been a shop located at the Harbor Island Spa, which was a Miami Beach hotel.

Debora

FORUM Spa.jpg

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Oh, that's high-60s for sure. Harbor Island Spa may have also been a shopping mall, something that way. Definitely not spa wear.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Bronwen

Here's the same sort of thing, with some hoity-toity provenance.

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Billy, I imagine that there have been many Harbor Island Spas in various places over the years, but I'm going to agree with Debora that your outfit came from the one in Miami.

A man named Larry Paskow owned a Harbor Island Spa in Long Branch, NJ. The place was know for its Mafia activity. In 1964, Larry married a 2nd wife, and the two of them went to Miami, where they purchased the J Hotel and renamed it with the same name as the one in NJ: the Harbor Island Spa.

Larry's son became the owner of the NJ location and ran it until sometime in the early 1980's. (In 1979, local Mafia boss Anthony “Little Pussy” Russo was murdered in his room at that spa - it was a suspected mob hit.)

Larry's new wife was referred to in Miami as "Queen of the Harbor Island Spa". The Miami location catered to a different clientele, mainly Jewish, and promised luxurious spa accommodations and all sorts of luxury treatments.

I have no doubt that the Miami location would have had a boutique of some sort, selling clothing such as the dress & coat you have there. It reminds me of some of the things my mother & her friends wore "to the club" in the mid-1960's.

7. Bronwen

There appears also to be one in Tampa, but Miami is where the glitz & glamor were. Edit: And the Mafia activity.

8. billyd3us

Very cool everyone for your replies. Thanks so much

9. billyd3us

That's a cool image with the beach scene and cars, I Love it..

KingofThings likes this.
  10. billyd3us

I wonder if this was worn by a Mafia leader's wife....

11. Bronwen

Would it then be moll wear?

reader, pearlsnblume, Jivvy and 3 others like this.
  12. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Once...
    ;)

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  13. billyd3us

I wonder if I could take it to get DNA testing and see if she was dating a famous criminal ?

judy and KingofThings like this.
  14. billyd3us

Haha....

Christmasjoy, judy and KingofThings like this.
  15. David Kuba

David Kuba New Member

My late grandmother spent many 'vacations' at Larry Paskow's Harbor Island Spa. I have saved many photos. That outfit looks very much like the kind of polyester outfits she wore back in those days. She had a yellow coat with buttons that looked just like that photo. She lived in Bal Harbour and spent 2 weeks every year at the Spa to lose weight.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. David Kuba

David Kuba New Member

That ensemble looks much like the kind of outfit my late grandmother wore. She was a regular at Larry Paskow's Harbor Island Spa from 1970 to the 1990s. She lived in Bal Harbour but chose to spend her vacations at the Spa a few minutes away.
    David
    NYC

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Tampa is no stranger to mob activity. Now, glitz & glamor? Yeah, that was probably more Miami. :hilarious:

judy and Bronwen like this.
  18. billyd3us

Very cool David, good info

19. billyd3us

Nice Jivvy .

20. Lola Rojas

Lola Rojas New Member

I am 57 years old and lived in North Bay Village for 27years. I recently moved. My 37 year old daughter was 8 years old when she won the Miss North Bay Village beauty pageant held at Larry Paskow Spa in Harbor Island. Very high class city at the time despite all of the stories of mafia and corruption.

reader, pearlsnblume, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted