Featured 1960s batik painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Phaik Hooi, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

dear all

i am embarrassed to be back :oops::sorry: but i thought your expertise will end all my troubles with identifying the signature. emailing local art galleries and artists has all bombed big time :hilarious:
    only one of my parents 1960s art pieces that i cannot identify. they have another batik piece by Michael Lim, as well as 2 watercolours by AB Ibrahim and 3 pastel/chalk on paper by Chia Hui Chian.
    i have been happily reading most of the threads and very happy to see more experts joining the forum. this forum is really cool. i love it!!

here's the signature and the whole:
    fishermen signature.jpg fishermen batik copy.jpg

the other pieces all easily identified by legible signatures :D
    longhouse michael lim copy.jpg pantai AB Ibrahim watercolor copy.jpg village AB Ibrahim watercolor copy.jpg fishing village Chia Hui Chian chalk on paper copy.jpg street scene Chia Hui Chian chalk on paper copy.jpg shop Chia Hui Chian chalk on paper copy.jpg

TQ
    regards
    phaik hooi

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Oh, Phaik Hooi, my favourite Peranakan girl!:happy: Apologies, Peranakan lady! Welcome back, I've missed you.:kiss:

Love them all, especially the beach scene and the bold Penang boats, but you were asking about the first. A very powerful looking batik.
    The surname could be Ho? Or if it is an Indonesian batik, which it probably isn't, something ending in djo, jo, or to.

Maybe @Aquitaine can work her magic on the siggy?:)

3. Phaik Hooi

hi there and tq!! when over 50, girl is good. not sure about lady cos kinda rough around the edges :hilarious::hilarious:

i think malaysian artist. more likely a malay name though could also be a chinese name. totally no help at all from my end :sorry::sorry::D:D just hope someone recognise the work ... :):)

4. Any Jewelry

A Malaysian name would make more sense than a Chinese one. Although many batik designers in Indonesian colonial times were Peranakan, I don't know if that was the same in Malaysia?

Maybe Aquitaine can bring out the signature, but it can be difficult with all those confusing wax-crack lines.

i need help likes this.
  5. Phaik Hooi

in malaysia, batik designers as in batik cloth, i would think both malay and chinese peranakan. but a lot of batik did come to penang from indonesia.

batik paintings took off in the 60s and a lot of artist dabbled with the techniques. all or most malaysian artist names are romanised hence Chia Hui Chian. i think chinese characters (from a chinese name seal) only if it was a chinese brush painting.
    e.g.: http://www.ilhamgallery.com/love-me-in-my-batik/batik-artists/

batik artists tend to have a signature style/theme and normally factory pieces would not be signed. i agree the signature is difficult to decipher with all the lines :sorry::sorry:

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  6. Phaik Hooi

judy and i need help like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My success was EXTREMELY limited....the most I was able to do was remove some of the dark lines ON the text!!!! Sorry!! Maaaaan, you guys find the HARD siggys!!!!!!!

zzzzishermen signature.jpg

8. Any Jewelry

Aqui, it really has improved a lot, thank you.:) Still difficult to read, despite your considerable effort.:(

Aquitaine, Phaik Hooi and i need help like this.
  9. Phaik Hooi

tq tq for trying!! messy sign for sure :hilarious::hilarious:

GOOD MORNING from PENANG :happy::happy:

Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  10. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

never saw that batik's pattern or hear the name before here in indonesia,and ibrahim name is more popular to use in malaysia,so i guess they are should be malaysian artist

i need help likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Silver, we haven't been able to decipher the signature on the batik. Ibrahim is the name of the painter of two water colours, not of the batik.
    Phaik Hooi is in Malaysia, so a Malaysian artist makes sense.

Phaik Hooi likes this.
  12. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

do no one in malaysia recognize the artist signature?:bookworm::bookworm:

13. Any Jewelry

I don't know, I guess Phaik would have to find a gallery specialized in batik art.

14. Phaik Hooi

sadly none of the art galleries, even one that is suppose to focus on batik paintings only, in malaysia have been able to identify the artist. i have even emailed the singapore art centre but i don't think they will reply since it has been ages. i was able to identify Michael Lim's batik painting only because someone who knew him asked him personally if it was his piece. :(:(

tq for explaining :happy::happy:

so i guess this is the end of the road for me ... :p:p:D:D
    thank you all for helping!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Maybe someone who knows will find this thread and reply.....:)

16. lisa Zyndorf

lisa Zyndorf New Member

I have a batik from the same artist and this signature may help.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. lisa Zyndorf

lisa Zyndorf New Member

Kheng Wah Yong is the artist for the batiks

Any Jewelry and Phaik Hooi like this.
  18. Phaik Hooi

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Phaik Hooi

064FD3B3-1005-40BC-BE2F-17C2344E5016.jpeg haven’t been online for ages: social distancing :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D
    warm regards from penang and happy water tiger year!! :):)

20. Any Jewelry

Totally understand.:nurse:;) Great to see you back though, and kudos for taking the risk!:happy::kiss:
    And a very happy water tiger year to you too!:singing:

upload_2022-1-10_13-25-21.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted