1962 Abstract Collage Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Jul 21, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

At first I thought it was just random shapes but now it looks to me like some kind of buildings, I see stairs?
    Not sure if the signature will matter but any suggestions on it are welcomed. I can't tell with this kind of art if it was done by a child, amateur or a pro.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Using linoleum for a canvas is weird or is it just a backing?
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. kardinalisimo

Just a backing. It is done on paper with applied paper cuts.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Interesting. I can't make anything of that signature but would try to exhaust options before giving up. Collages/constructions tend not to do as well as paintings on ebay for some reason. That said, I have had some luck selling abstracts in general and being from the early 60s is a plus.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Could that signature possibly be Arabic ?

6. kardinalisimo

Thanks for trying Brad.Like any arts nowadays, it has to be a super famous to make decent money. I like the general idea of this one but to me it does not look finely executed with those paper cuts. But who knows... I've always been amazed by art. You have some famous dude that cuts a letter and glues it to a white background and it sells for crazy amount.
    I even don't know where to start with the signature. For some reason I also thought it may be mid eastern.

7. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

It reminds me of Petra

8. kardinalisimo

Actually, the year could be 1967.
    If not wrong, seven with a dash/slash is not very typical for US born people but of course there are a lot of exeptions.

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It gives me a Mid-Eastern feel, too. I think it's buildings close in front of mountains or steep hills.

The last number does look like a "7" with a slash across it.

10. kardinalisimo

Bump for the signature

Draft saved Draft deleted