1969 "Quiet Nantucket Harbor Watercolor" Artist Information??

Discussion in 'Art' started by SPERLS, Mar 6, 2017.

1. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Any information appreciated...thank you!! IMG_5994.JPG IMG_5995.JPG IMG_5993.JPG

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  2. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Maybe someone with more experience could identify this but it appears the artist signed "R. I." (I could be mistaken) but all I could find was Rhode Island for R I. The other thing that might make it hard to identify is that it looks like it was someone was studying watercolor since it says "Study in Blues & Greens" in that case they may have not pursued it past their studies.
    P. S. Everyone, I know that it's not terribly helpful to just state that I don't have the required knowledge (I do that a lot) but I am trying to break the silence and start the discussion. It also helps me to learn if I clearly state my opinion and reasoning because if I am incorrect in my reasoning someone can address me about it.
    (It's probably unnecessary but I thought I would explain):happy:

SPERLS and judy like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Study in..." refers to the fact the artist was exploring a blue and green color palette. Has nothing to do with the quality of the work.

Debora

SPERLS and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

There's a dot or period BEFORE the "R", so there's probably a letter, I or L before it.......can't figure out the letter after the "R"......

SPERLS likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

RJ maybe?

SPERLS likes this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

There are and have been hundreds of artists on the Cape and Islands. I'm thinking it's probably a 'Sunday' painter or amateur. I don't recognize it as any particular local artist. I don't see how RI could stand for Rhode Island since Nantucket is part of Massachusetts.

SPERLS likes this.
  7. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Thank you all,for your responses...After closer inspection,it appears the lines on both sides of the "R" are extensions of both nines in "1969"...Bev...I have also looked at hundreds of Nantucket paintings & this one will be very difficult to identify!!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted