Featured 1975 Boykiy Russian Destroyer visit to Boston

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

In May 1975 Boykiy made a five-day visit to Boston, Massachusetts. This was the first post-war visit by a Soviet naval ship to the U.S. The visit was in honor of the celebration of V-E Day.

I was 26. I took my kids down to visit. Somewhere I have a few photos. The Russian sailors were giving away pins. I wished I'd thought to bring something. The only thing they kept asking for were American cigarettes and I didn't smoke.

Thought you might be interested in the pins which I just found again. 2016-02-15 10.59.56 (800x600).jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanin-class_destroyer

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

COOL! I was in Boston on my destroyer the USS Manley for her to be 'Visit Ship' July 4, 1977.
    I also visited a Russian ship in San Diego years later, '89 maybe, the whole Perestroika thing was going on.
    I brought candy and misc. things to trade. They also wanted $ of which I wasn't thinking and so didn't bring much.
    I have to say their condition was deplorable! All of them white as bleached sheets. Filthy uniforms and sores upon them. :(
    Though I was leery I traded for an 'undershirt' with the blue/white horizontal stripes :p a long coat that was too tight but ok... and a plate or bowl from the officer's mess.... Uh oh. :)
    They would run inside and come out with stuff. I wish I had more things with me.
    Then I was at the end of the event inside the building with all the stuff on display. They gave me many pins and ALL the remaining posters! I have a lot........ :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I felt so bad I didn't bring anything, but I didn't know any better. I did have a Hershey bar that I'd brought for the kids that I gave the first guy.

4. KingofThings

Hi! I have to ask......
    They way you worded this post it seems like you may be offering those pins. Are you?
    Thank you.

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Nope. Just posting for anyone interested. Sending them to my daughter because she was five at the time and I think she'd like to give them to my grandson.

I get a lot of enlightenment from items people post even if I'm not buying. Whenever there's something new or different. I don't know if anyone ever saw anything like these, so it's mainly here to educate.

6. KingofThings

Oh! That's great!!!
    There are myriads of other pins they made. Astounding actually.
    If I had easy access to mine I'd donate one. :)

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I have a photo of a sailor giving her the pins. I need to find it. I'm having fun with the attic. Finding family photos and papers going back to the early 1900s - 1915-28 from my mother's older sisters.

8. KingofThings

That's great! :)
    I don't recall if I took any....

Draft saved Draft deleted