1982 Air or Gas Nipple Military boots

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by rknarr2, Mar 25, 2021.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

Does it have to be old military because I have a pair of boots from Feb. 8, 1982 or 1992 with air or other gas nipples on the side possibly to fill up with air or other gas into each boot. I gave DLA the contract no. and they tried but it was not the same. Says Gusset This Side Only, Keep Double Laced To Hold Firmly, around the air or other gas nipple has 2 arrows one of the arrows has Open and also the words Keep Closed Unless Airbourne around the air or other gas nipple of each boot. The Contract No. inside the boot is DLA 100-80-C-3233. I also showed it to my neighbor, who is ex navy seal, and his son, who is in the army and jumps out of planes in North Carolina. I was wondering what these boots were used for. I thought maybe it went with the helicopter extractor system that he has. He past away many years ago. Thank you for advice. Rob
    IMG_7218small.JPG IMG_7219smaller.JPG IMG_7221small.JPG IMG_7222small.JPG IMG_7223small.JPG IMG_7224small.JPG IMG_7226small.JPG IMG_7227small.JPG

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    ulilwitch likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Since pics got posted, am editing MY post.....hard to tell if that’s ‘92 or ‘82....for me.....

91AB7503-0C87-4AFA-93F3-B269D0BFD083.jpeg

3. rknarr2

I was waiting on a response to find out whether or not I was allowed to post military stuff that was not old. However, I will go take pictures and add them to the post before hand. Rob

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"allowed?" When have you not been allowed to post something?

i need help, Aquitaine and Houseful like this.
  5. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

They look like Mickey Mouse Boots. White ones are called Bunny Boots. Military issue for extreme cold climates. Also described at this surplus store.

Are you sure the date is 1992, and not 1952? The ink is smudgy and the photo a little blurry, so it's hard to tell from the photo.

ulilwitch and Bakersgma like this.
  6. rknarr2

I think you're right they are Mickey Mouse Boots. That link showed a black pair of them with the nipples on them. No, I am not of the date because the ink is smudgy
    as follows:

Type I[edit]
    The black pairs, called Mickey Mouse boots (due to their oversized appearance resembling the feet of the eponymous cartoon mouse), weigh 44 oz. (1.25 kg) apiece, are rated for temperatures down to −20 °F (−28.9 °C) and are made with oil/diesel resistant rubber.[2] They are less common and predate the post-Korea white pairs ("bunny boots") which are still issued today.

7. rknarr2

I was concerned if I did I might be reported if it was not old. Rob

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I know of no reason to "report" you or anyone else, because the item you posted for identification was not 100 years old. Have you been reported before?

@Bookahtoo

i need help likes this.
  9. rknarr2

No but there is a report button. Thank you. Rob

10. rknarr2

There are alot of sold pairs of these Mickey Mouse boots on ebay. Rob

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@rknarr2
    The report button is available on every post. It is used to report abuses of the Forum Rules, mainly Obscene Language, insulting comments, and Spam.
    You may post vintage items, not a problem.

12. rknarr2

Awesome. Thank you. Rob

i need help likes this.
  13. rknarr2

I think it is 1982 or 1992 because I think they have been mass produced over the years since when they there inception. Rob

14. rknarr2

My question is what were the nipples on the side used for and what was put in them air or other gas? Thank you. Rob

15. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

In one of the links, they said the nipple was basically a bleed valve to release internal air pressure so that the boots did not rupture after the wearer attained altitude (and low air pressure).

i need help likes this.
  16. rknarr2

thank you. Makes sense. Rob

Draft saved Draft deleted