Featured 19th C Brass Shoe Shine Box!!!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Nathan Lindop, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

BEAUTIFULLLLLL!!!!!!!
    AHHHHHHH!!!!! :dead:

Sorry for the overreaction is just a little excited it only got delivered today haha :joyful:

Circa 1890 from the Registered Design numbers. The bottles were made by Indian company Dabur established 1880 making this very early for them. Anglo-Indian from the end of British Empire presence.

But some (insert insult here haha) decided to stick a modern lock on it. I don’t know if they thought they were repairing it or what but I can’t believe they did this.

Wanted to throw this up on the forums, something a little different. If you are able to confirm that the Arabic script says Dabur go for it.

D2D70852-17BF-4E8B-B796-66FC0F440FE0.jpeg A94494FF-AA44-4CD9-89FB-34D223FF5721.jpeg 879D822B-91F9-4D4F-8B9B-9C9F95DF0B46.jpeg F0509B62-9E61-4F93-9862-C7F4D461E893.jpeg F833ABBA-4FD6-49D6-880E-345B190FBE20.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry will know, but think it is not likely to be Arabic, more likely the script for an Indian language.

That lock sure is a glaring anachronism. Some (pardon my French) didn't want to leave a hole there? Really needed it to lock securely? Amazing the bottles are all there. I take it the body of the box is a cash box, since the lock is not needed to keep the lid closed if the box is turned upside down.

3. Nathan Lindop

Sorry I call any writing in that style Arabic I need to learn the umbrella term for that writing style.

Yeh I assumed they must have still used it when that owner bought it. Actually I think it’s missing two bottles xD it has seven I didn’t photograph the back. It might need 9 to be complete but the one extra has the Indian script on so maybe it was bought as an extra and the other section was for rags to buff with. Maybe haha
    @Any Jewelry

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Nathan. The lock is a sign that it saw a long period of use.
    The writing is Arabic script, the language is most likely Urdu. Arabic script is used for many languages, from West Africa in the west to parts of the Phillipines in the east.
    I can't read it, sorry, but it is probably Dabur in Urdu.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's very nice !!!

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Nathan Lindop

Phew I haven’t been offending people for a while then haha . Thanks for looking anyway :happy:

Thanks komokwa, it’s my new favourite till I buy something else haha

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've really taken a shine to it. :joyful:

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Boy do I know the truth of THAT statement ! It really is a very cool piece.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. Nathan Lindop

Haha @johnnycb09 for sure. I think I have....hmmm....382 favourite pieces now

Draft saved Draft deleted