Featured 19th c German Breslau photographs

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Ratsy Brown, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Hello all

I typically stick to porcelain and the such, but i found this set of eight german photographs, printed onto card. Some have dates handwritten on the back dating from the 1870s and 1880s.

I really have no knowledge on the subject, and no real luck with searching online. All help is appreciated.

F6217248-F544-426D-BFDE-91331CF06A61.jpeg
    09789016-75C5-45D1-89C4-AF2436324306.jpeg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

CDV`s
    research Carte de visite

Ratsy Brown likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Ratsy Brown likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Lovely photos, mostly of children. Some have been trimmed to fit into an album sleeve. I can't tell what size these are. They are either cabinet card photos or carte de visite photos. I see that davey says CDV. The size will indicate what they are. Neither size is generally more valuable than the other.

You could try researching the photographers to see whether any of them are collectible. Generally, there are lots of collecting categories.

5. Figtree3

Oh, and I see a toy on the floor next to the girl at the lower left. Some people collect those sorts of photos also. I'm assuming you are thinking of selling these. If you are keeping them, I'd say you've just gotten a good start on a collection!

6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

These appear (to me!) to be the same children over a passage of years.

judy, Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  7. Figtree3

You're right! The same children appear in multiple photos, apparently! Makes sense that they would be found together.

8. Mansons2005

For giggles, I would look to the Prussian royal family as possible sitters..................

Aquitaine, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  9. Ratsy Brown

Oh wow i never thought they could be the same children, they were in an album together.
    Just over 4inches tall. Thanks for all your fast responses guys, i have lots to go on now.

Figtree3, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They're probably a bog standard middle class family who no one's ever heard of, more's the pity. They were important to somebody, but said somebody didn't write the names down. Even if one of them did become famous, we don't know what names to look under.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Mansons2005

Considering that Breslau was pretty much destroyed by the end of WWII, these must have been "moved" away from the area before the war (not unusual considering their age). When Germany declared Breslau a fortress the inhabitants were moved out very quickly and with just about no possessions. The city was physically "taken apart" to accommodate air fields, etc. If they did survive the war in Breslau, they may have been in the possession of a German family exiled out of the area after the war and Lower Silesia was ceded to Poland. Though, as mentioned, there is little chance they actually survived IN Breslau or its immediate surrounds.

Aquitaine, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  12. Ratsy Brown

I was hoping the text at the bottom might give a name, i take it they were just the photographer/manufacturers details.

judy likes this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That little girl with the toy is super cute. Can't you imagine that image as a painting?
    z1.jpg

The one in the upper left with those dense blacks and brilliant whites... I wonder if that's platinum.

Batman_2000 and Figtree3 like this.
  14. Figtree3

Just over 4 inches tall would be carte de visite size, as Davey said.

Batman_2000 and Aquitaine like this.
  15. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

I love these, they are right up my street! It's a pity the children aren't named, but researching the photographers, or an image search might give some clue as to who they are (and increase the value!).

The little girl on the top row looks like she is holding a doll. Very cute!

Draft saved Draft deleted