19th Century Chinese Rosewood Ming Dynasty style chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lolly venta, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Lolly venta

Lolly venta New Member

Hi All, Haven’t checked in for awhile. Still trying to figure out what to do with some of the furniture I have inherited. I have two antique chairs that I am thinking of selling as we don’t find them practical or comfortable to use. I went on line and found a photo of what seems to be the identical chair. It was described as “19th century Chinese redwood Ming Dynasty style chair”. I brought the photo to a local used/antique furniture dealer and he said they have no value, nobody wants them and to donate them. Not sure what to do. If they have any value I would like to perhaps benefit some, but more importantly, I would like to pass them on to someone who appreciates them. Any input is appreciated! is upload_2019-10-20_17-56-12.jpeg

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  2. Lolly venta

Lolly venta New Member

upload_2019-10-20_18-33-56.jpeg

marking underneath the chair

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

hongmu from canton 1880 imho

4. Lolly venta

Lolly venta New Member

Thank you so much for the information and for taking the time to respond. The information, especially the date, makes me value the pieces even more

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Lolly venta

Lolly venta New Member

The guy at the furniture/antique shop also suggested i could sell the chairs at a garage sale. Given the age of these chairs doesn’t seem right to me. Am I wrong?

komokwa likes this.
  6. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted