19th Century Chinese Vases?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Alesia42, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Hi!....This is my haul for today via an Estate sale....they are a pair of Chinese vases....approx. 9.5 in length x 4.5 in wth...they are a light bluish-greenish ground with cobalt design...they are in great condition...small nick around the edge of one....the orange peel pitting is noted on the inside of each vase and there is a joint between the neck and the rest of the body. so I'm not sure if the vases were made in 2 parts?....I thought that was only for very large vases...one of the vases is a little bit wonky in shape, a little wider at the neck/body...I hadn't noticed it earlier, if I had I may not of purchased it).....there are no marks....they were asking $500 ea..at 40% off for the last day....I did get them at a much lower price....but it was still more than I usually pay....for the age, I'm guessing at late 1800's?...but I'm not sure of that...so if someone knows how old these vases are please share your thoughts.... rsz_18th_century_chinese_vases_great_estate_sale_find_007.jpg rsz_18th_century_vases_white_background_001.jpg rsz_18th_century_vases_white_background_009.jpg rsz_18th_century_vases_white_background_007.jpg rsz_18th_century_vases_white_background_006.jpg rsz_18th_century_chinese_vases_great_estate_sale_find_015.jpg rsz_18th_century_chinese_vases_great_estate_sale_find_019.jpg rsz_18th_century_chinese_vases_great_estate_sale_find_033.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Perhaps a mod could move this to the pottery/glass/porcelain (instead of tribal) forum for more views: @Bookahtoo @i need help

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess very new .

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

5. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

I got there late and didn't expect to find them especially on the last day....Due to the color/look, orange peel surface... style of painting and the gritty foot....I'm still thinking maybe they are from the 1800's....so I'm going to have them appraised....my fingers are crossed!

LauraGarnet02 and bercrystal like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

because you refuse to believe that you got taken at an estate sale...??

LauraGarnet02 and BoudiccaJones like this.
  7. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Sorry but I don’t think these are antique.

LauraGarnet02 and komokwa like this.
  8. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Well actually I want a professional opinion.....people who are behind these Avatars....may not be a professional in the area of Asian/Chinese antiques...and truthfully no one has come on stating that he/she has years of education and experience in Asian Antiques......this is sharing for fun mainly...and there may be some who have years of experience with appraising items.....but I would have no way of knowing that.....for example...on a site like this one I posted a item...and someone stated that they thought it was worthless etc...but that item had already been appraised by a well known appraiser over a year before I had posted it....and the same identical item was sold on a well know site for a good bit.....so that would be a No....when I want to know for sure....I get a professional evaluation/appraisal.....and others should as well.....some people on these sites may say things don't have any value....because they just don't know any better....but if the correct information is shared...that is a bonus...but not a given

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  9. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see what an expert thinks, I hope you will post the info you get and I hope they are the date that you think they are.

10. komokwa

then , why come here at all !!!!!

&
    "on a site like this one I posted a item"

there is NO other site like this one.....& PLEASE do NOT paint us with the same brush.......it's insulting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

BoudiccaJones, Sunnarth and Tanya like this.
  11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Alesia42 - While it is difficult at times to evaluate something that is not in hand the folks here have a pretty good track record. Many have collected the stuff they comment on for many years so they know what to look for to judge the age & quality of items.

However, you have every right to take it to someone local who can handle your vases & appraise them for you. I do not know where you live but I have often seen folks mention here on the forum that some of the large auction houses have "appraisal days" where you can take stuff in for the experts to have a look at them & give their opinions.

I would choose someone very carefully though as there are many people out there who will appraise something & inflate the worth of the item as well as embellish the description. In the past, one of the local museums would hold an antique roadshow-like event where local "experts" would tell people what they had & what it might be worth. There was one gentleman who was notorious for doing just what I described above. :(

Please do come back & let us know what you find out. :happy:

LauraGarnet02, verybrad and Bakersgma like this.
  12. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

I'm not sure just why you are expressing such anger for my personal choice to have my items appraised and not to just accept what is said on this forum as fact.....in case you do not know....I have my own opinions and beliefs.....of which is my right......your comments and explanation points....change nothing...........PS..... I did have them appraised since posting the pics on this site....and both vases are from the 1800's...I trust that persons opinion....for that person is very well known

as others who frequent this site....I also enjoy sharing the things that I have purchased....and discussing them with others who share the same interest.....(minus the anger)....and if someone offers their professional opinion of a item , that's great....and if it holds to be true...that's is even better...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  13. komokwa

I'm not !!!
    You and your thoughts can have it appraised anywhere, anytime you desire....

but...
    on a site like this one I posted a item...and someone stated that they thought it was worthless etc.......

comparing us here to some site u do not name , that did u wrong....
    I for one, fine that quite distasteful...
    u do not know us.......nor are you ever going to........;),,:rolleyes:

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  14. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

you seem to have some displaced anger that needs to be addressed.....I'm just here on this site sharing pics and information about items that I've purchased....and YOU are trying to get personal.....and I'm not sure why that is....EDITED BY MODERATOR.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2021
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I don’t understand why this disagreement has been resurrected. I hope the personal comments don’t continue.

bercrystal likes this.
  16. komokwa

as you wish..

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted