19th Century Etching, Sir Joshua Reynolds "The Ladies Waldegrave".

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Ok, got this today and I've been doing a little research on this.

There's printing on the bottom:

Ch Courtny
    Imp A. Salmon
    L'Art

If I've read correctly, Alfred Salmon was the printer and a very well printer at that.

I've searched for this etching, and I've found a couple but none that had color like mine. It appears that this painting by Renoylds is also very collectible.

2. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

This etching was published in the French journal L'Art in the 19th C. It is a reproductive interpretation of the Reynolds painting...basically a fine magazine illustration.

Salmon specialized in printing such etchings, Courtry being a well-known reproductive etcher who worked for him and other publishers.

Sometimes, as in this case, not much care was taken in the printing and many copies were issued. Both Salmon and Courtry did finer work too.

The etching was issued in black ink only. Sometimes buyers would hand color their copies to enhance them.

afantiques likes this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Penny plain and twopence coloured.

kentworld likes this.
  4. Armando0831

Speak clearer please..

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

He means it's not worth much B&W...and colored ...not much more.

& you have to say it with a British accent.....:rolleyes:

6. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

Great old British expression, which I think is rooted in the late 18th Century print trade.

Although, as respects antique prints on the market these days, it may be said "Tuppence plain, ha'penny coloured!" (Old DIY colouring can devalue prints).

7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Speak clearer please..

I think he's saying the equivalent of "taint worth a plugged nickel" the way they say it in the Land of Limes, Biscuits, and Tea.

8. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

OP, the original Reynolds painting is in the National Gallery of Scotland. Not sure what you mean about it being "very collectible".

9. Armando0831

Oh shucks, I thought this was the original....thanks for letting me know this Sherlock, I was about to post this, original and all:pompous::greedy::rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  10. Armando0831

A

11. Armando0831

You know I'm kidding about the whole Sherlock thing? I was referring to the subject of the print being collectible.

12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

When we want to be polite, we say "decorative value only." But I hasten to add that sometimes that "decorative value" can mean more money than "collectible value."

Draft saved Draft deleted