19th Century French Shaving Mirror

Discussion in 'Art' started by Brynne, Apr 14, 2022.

?

Would appreciate any insight

1. It is a lamented print

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. An unusual French Shaving Mirror

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Brynne

Brynne Member

Wondered if anyone know a little more about this picture. Is it a painting or a lament over a print? Was there originally something behind the pic on the red fabric surface. I paid $25, did I score or make a bad decision? Thank you for looking. Any input is appreciated. pic 1 shave.jpg pic 6 shave.jpg pic 5 shave.jpg pic 4 shave.jpg pic 3 shave.jpg pic 2 shave.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What's a "lament" in this context?

judy likes this.
  3. Brynne

Brynne Member

Sorry"Laminate" in other words, 19th century decoupage? Not sure the correct term.

judy likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

judy, Bakersgma and Brynne like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

a close shave.
    the lock with Sans Garantie Du Gouvernement was used till 1968, so vintage at least.
    in the state it is I see it as a disaster pricewise. but someone might find it charming and full of character and so French, vachement chouette.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breveté_SGDG

Brynne and judy like this.
  6. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

It's wonderful...us shaving collectors love finding stuff like that in the wild ....goes right along with some of my French "rasoirs"...... I think you did fine at $25.

Brynne, judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What is the coat of arms on on the back? Looks British.

Debora

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Philip Morris.

Brynne likes this.
  9. Brynne

Brynne Member

Thank you for the information. It may be difficult to see in my pic, but the clasp says Patent 1876, because the frame is wood with wrapped silk fabric (deteriorating but still cool) I feel comfortable saying Victorian Period. Going to sell it so it's probably best on an auction so others can determine it's worth. Thank you again, input is appreciated.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

11. Brynne

Brynne Member

12. Brynne

Brynne Member

I should have originally taken more accurate pictures, but thank you for your input. This code of arms really baffled me.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So not Phillip Morris. Your photograph of the closure is out of focus. I can only read "Patented" and the date. What does it say above?

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted