19th century print or drawing

Discussion in 'Art' started by gerspee, Oct 27, 2016.

1. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

Signed print or drawing . But can't make out the name so need some assistance . So who is able to help me a bit with the name en similar prints or drawings ?

thanks DSC06736.JPG DSC06733.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Appears to be a print of a Dutch or German Genre painting. Can't make much of the signature. A quick search of similar works did not turn this up but I have to think it is a known work. You may need to examine this out of the frame to get a better look at the signature.

springfld.arsenal likes this.
  3. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Don't know if this will help much, just giving it a try.
    pa1.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Mine eyes not so good today - is that a corpse on the table? So, daddy not coming home to dinner sort of thing?

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. gerspee

I have bought them at Urk a fishing village in the Netherlands so could be a death fisherman . There is a coffin with a cross on it in the print . The autograph is done in pencil what give the shining off the graphite on the print or drawing . I have also looked at the clothes and the are similar to there clothing in the 19e century . Have two off the same artist and here's the other DSC06726.JPG
    DSC06728.JPG

tyeldom3 and lauragarnet like this.
  7. gerspee

If I try to read the name I get guilaz ? So looks to me South European . Any artist known with that name ?

8. gerspee

Figured out the name off the original paintings by Joseph Israels around 1850/60 . So the unknown artist made his copy's off the paintings by Israels in 1883 or 1893 ? By what I read ? So maybe a connection between the two artists ?

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Wow perseverance! I can't quite tell where you pulled the sig from but in your first photo it looks like there is a signature in the bottom right corner.

Draft saved Draft deleted