Featured 19th Century silver gilt earring dangle dilemma. Help please.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

These silver gilt Algerian knot or lover's knot earrings have lost their little dangles.
    I would like to replace them, so my question is, what shape were the original dangles? I am thinking of urn shape (upside down teardrop), but they could have been balls, teardrops, maybe something else?

Ball dangles are easiest to get, I can just use small vermeil ball pins. There will be a slight difference in colour, but I don't know if anyone would notice.
    I also have tiny rice pearls, but since there are no pearls on the pendants I don't know if I should even consider that.

The earrings are not Algerian, by the way, it is just the name of the knot. These are from Austria, but the style is general European of the period.

upload_2018-7-16_14-9-25.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-16_14-9-40.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-16_14-9-55.jpeg

The length of the earrings is 4.1cm/1.6"
    Thank you for looking.

2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Pretty!!! :woot:

Tiny vermeil balls should do the complement rather well, I haven't see pear shaped original danglings on this kind of earrings :)
    Rice pearls, at least the modern chinese freshwater ones are a no no for me (spotted from far when a seller thinks it is perfect to complete antique jugendstil pendant's lacking drop :shame:)

Personnally I'd try a red/salmon coral ball, size choosen in harmony with the earrings length:joyful:

3. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

This is the shape that sprang in to my mind right away. You mean rounded at the the top and pointy at the bottom, correct?

4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Yeah! That would be beautiful :)

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know what would have been there originally, but any harmonious shape in vermeil would work. Agree that pearl would not look quite right, no matter the shape. I could also see a small colored semi-precious stone, such as one of the red garnets, or any color that you like.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  6. Any Jewelry

Thank you kyra.:kiss:
    You know me, I would be tempted to try coral, and it did cross my mind. Coral always crosses my mind.;)

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Yes, that's it. I have a feeling they could have been there originally, but I just can't find similar earrings to check.

8. Any Jewelry

Thanks, Bronwen. Maybe I should just try some of different ideas out and see what looks best to me.

9. Any Jewelry

Thank you, luxury.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Actually coral did come to my mind right away .. or something like emerald. I'd say " a huge diamond drop" but

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Now why didn't I think of that, thank you, Joy.
    All right, huge diamond drop it is.:D

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    kyratango, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

how about two simple gold hearts......?

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I think small baroque pearls would look great!

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Thanks Marie, that was one of my thoughts as well. I am going to try out different options.
    I have ordered some silver gilt teardrop and ball dangles, and already have pearl, coral and garnet beads, I just have to check if they are the right size.
    I haven't been able to find the urn/upside down teardrop dangles I originally thought of, yet. Whatever I put on will be reversible, so if they ever cross my path, I can still try them.
    I am going to keep the earrings, so I could even alternate when I get bored of one look.;)
    I have been practicing with the awkward antique European back to front hooks, and these particular ones don't wreck my earlobes.:)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Christmasjoy and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted