19th century watercolor? Niagara Falls.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Spudnik, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

This is a small watercolor - about 25 X 18 CM.

I'm pretty sure it's Niagara Falls. Wondering if anyone can give an approximate date based on the buildings in the lower right.

Picture is more of historic interest than artistic I think. There's a signature - maybe F. W.

20210121_181640.jpg 20210121_181701.jpg 20210121_181718.jpg 20210121_181734.jpg

Roaring20s and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think it's Niagara Falls. There is nowhere around the Falls (as it's known locally) where buildings could be located as they are in the painting. Of course it's possible that the painter didn't actually know the Falls and was taking license with the depiction. I don't know where else it could be.

It's a nice watercolor.

3. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

Thanks moreotherstuff. I'm not familiar with the layout of Niagara Falls - I kind of based my assumption on an old postcard I found online. I thought the scene looked kind of the same. There aren't any buildings in this picture, but I thought maybe some might have been built later than the date indicated on the postecard (1824):

[​IMG]

FishLure and moreotherstuff like this.
  4. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

Found another clue. This picture shows a domed structure that could be the building with the dome in my watercolor. It's called Table Rock House. Not sure of the location of that structure in Niagara Falls - the artist could have used some artistic license to move it into the foreground.

[​IMG]

Firemandk and moreotherstuff like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's probably just a fanciful depiction of Niagara.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If it's not Niagara Falls, don't know where else it could be.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted