19th Century Winter Scene Oil- Faded Stretcher Signature?

Discussion in 'Art' started by techbiker, May 18, 2022.

1. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

A couple weeks ago I purchased a neat 19th century winter scene in oil. Seller just bought from an estate and believed it was unsigned. The painting with frame measures about 28" x 24". The frame is damaged but original and IMO fairly impressive for a seemingly unsigned work at 2-1/2" thick. The painting itself is quite grimy and yellow but seems reasonably well executed and is varnished (3rd photo is the true color of the front). I gambled before buying that there would be a signature somewhere given the quality of the frame and painting.

While there is no signature on the front, there is some writing in pencil on the rear stretcher bars. Stretcher dimensions are written on the left bar. On the back of the right stretcher bar, a couple words follow writing that appears to say "Sept 1894". I suspect they may be a signature or a description of the subject. The stretchers are tensioned with ADS keys with an 1885 patent.

Unfortunately, the words following the date are difficult to read. Can you make out any words? What can be done to improve the legibility of this old pencil? I could try different lighting conditions. Please see Imgur link for higher-res photos:

19th Century Winter Scene Painting - Imgur

Thanks in advance!

n0B5Ukb.jpg
    Xe8wQm4small.jpg
    vpeOgKnsmall.jpg
    aagrBbNsmall.jpg
    iBx5E03small.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Maybe you can try taking the pic in better lighting (no flash) and try and get a more even-toned shot. Maybe try and get one with the piece lying flat on the floor, too.

Figtree3 and techbiker like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted