Featured 1st Find in Just Reopened Thrift Store - BIG Replica(?) Deer Antlers?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 5, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I was driving by one of the thrift stores I use to go to every day & saw a line in front - so I immediately parked & got in line my self (the feeling I got that they were finally open again must be like what a addict feels who has been going through withdrawal & finally gets his fix!) - and this is one of the first things I found (and for $20 I thought it was a steal even if a replica).
    Only have 1 question - mostly wanted to show you'all what I found!
    1 Question; what's the best/safest way to tell if it's real or a replica?
    PS - they measure 34" tall from antler end to end & 26" across from top antler tips.
    Thank you!

COLLECTIBLE ANTLERS 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ANTLERS 2BAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ANTLERS 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ANTLERS 3DAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ANTLERS 3EAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ANTLERS 1A_AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ANTLERS 1DAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ANTLERS 1EAA.JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If the 2 are near mirror images of each other, I would guess faux. Don't think they are quite so symmetrical in nature.

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Some hunter cut a plaque out of a pine board, attached a can tab to hang it. drilled through the bit of skull and used whatever screws he had handy to attach the antlers - not the best presentation, but will have a good value because of the size...

Aren't you in the Miami area? Thought y'all were still on shut-down of non-essential businesses?

~Cheryl

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    KSW, Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Elk, no doubt real, just an inexpensive way to display them.

KSW likes this.
  5. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

My dad was a hunter and I actually have a set of antlers on my wall, unmounted. Usually the whole head is mounted by a taxidermist (pricey, only done for very important ones), or the antlers are just cut off with their natural base of bone and fur. Sorry this is kind of gross! Ha. I have never seen one like this without hair, obviously it is a home made mounting. Check for any leathery/hairy organic material. Maybe it was boiled clean. I am familiar with whitetail deer, I don't know these particular antlers but they would be very difficult to create! A mold would cost a fortune at this size/complexity, so if it's not carved of wood, they are probably real antlers. The two my dad were mounted were so important to him, they were named, and were assigned to nephews in his will. My son got the mounted crappie fish ha.

6. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Are the antlers naturally attached to the skull plate, or are they shed antlers affixed to it?

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

look real from here........

sabre123, pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  8. wiscbirddog

Someone went out west on an elk hunt and bagged a nice 5X5 buck. Certainly not a trophy or monster but wanted to mount the antlers inexpensively.

Elk racks are normally very symmetrical.

No one would bother to reproduce an artificial set of antlers for an elk this size. He was probably only a 2 year old. The dimensions you listed aren't impressive for a trophy sized elk.

Age guess based on: height & width of rack, length of tines, small girth of beam and the fact that they show only minimal rubbings. He was never a contender with the big boys during the rut.

Am sure the hunter was very excited to bag him and wanted the antlers as a keepsake of an important hunting trip but he didn't warrant an expensive mount.

sabre123, DragonflyWink and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

upload_2020-5-5_15-23-38.jpeg

when you really stop to take a good look at them.....their either very majestic...or something out of a nightmare...:happy::happy::happy:..:jawdrop:

sabre123, KSW, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  10. journeymagazine

Beautiful animal. Sorry to the hunters out there but I could never kill an animal for sport; I think humans are the only creatures who do that.
    I thought they were fake & when I googled reproduction antlers I saw a large pair for $200+
    I'll try to look better where antlers meet the bone(?) to see if there's ant hair or anything else.
    Thanks all.

COLLECTIBLE ANTLERS 8CAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ANTLERS 8DAA.JPG

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. wiscbirddog

Or unscrew it from the board & see that it really is part of the skull.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

I say screw the plaque right on to the Hyundai badge !!!

Heehehe!!!!

upload_2020-5-6_0-35-33.jpeg

Aquitaine, patd8643, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  13. journeymagazine

14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

well at least someone here had some fun at a thrift shop. So jealous.

Aquitaine likes this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Hrrruuummph :shifty:. Me too.
    Nice antlers ....glad you didn't have to brake sharply on the way home:mask:. I have 'arranged' my children around some interesting finds but nothing on that scale. You could end up with everyone kebabbed.

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

In the US they call it Kabob, for some reason.:rolleyes:

KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

You could make some s'mores using the antlers near a fire and we will all come and have some.:p

Aquitaine likes this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I did consider whether 'kebabbed' was even a word or if I'd made it up :confused:

19. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Skewered :hilarious:
    The term Kebab is Indian and used in the muslim world and most English speaking nations.
    The US likes to be different.:hilarious:

Aquitaine and sabre123 like this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

THAT was the word I was looking for!. My Thesaurus is snoring.

Draft saved Draft deleted