Featured 2 art glass necklaces, Italy? Artisan craft?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Did get an amazing haul from helping at my friend's antique show. My goodness, I was in my element. I've been slow to post (hope to eventually list a group shot in finds) but meanwhile wondered about these two necklaces.

Purchased from a woman who only sells jewelry at the show, actually she is the person where I spent 99% of my money.

I am a glass bead fanatic, both pieces are 100% glass. So unusual with the rhinestone clips. Anyone seen similar?

The seller just had these two, I asked, "guessing these were from the same former owner?" and she said, "yes". Also said that she had not been able to find anything out about them, but guessed maybe Italian.

Thinking either Italian, or maybe from an artisan craft show? Is there a name for the sort of satiny orange striped ones? I know I've seen that kind of bead before.

The long green pressed glass ones I've never seen.

Also that promising looking mark in photo 7 on the clasp is not any kind of signature. Just seems to be wear.

Here they are:

i2.jpg i3.jpg i4.jpg i7.jpg it2.jpg it3.jpg it4.jpg it5.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My gut feel is more likely Germany - the second set, definitely. 1960s.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd like to have seen the previous owner's closet. Must have had a great deal of flair.

Debora

KSW, Xristina, i need help and 5 others like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree! And they look amazing on. So different than what you normally see.

I'm still hung up on the construction, those rhinestone clasps, clearly both sets came from the same maker. (Whether artisan or some company.)

What about those orange/yellow beads. Anyone know a name for those? Kind of satin-like.

scoutshouse, kyratango and judy like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

first one - gut feeling only - French (Lorraine) or West Germany along the Rhine. Jugendstil era.
    second one: clasp looks more for a traditional costume; Bavarian Forest towards Bohemia.

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The clasp on the second is AB, so can't be earlier than the 50s ish.

judy, i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Aurora Borealis? ...I'm guessing :)

judy and i need help like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You guess correctly. :)

judy, i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Lucille.b and scoutshouse like this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

cxgirl and scoutshouse like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Did Kropfkette make plated base metal clasp?The OP's clasp has glued in stones and is "gold"plated.The one in the picclick link appears to be 14K and the stones are bezel set.

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Kropfkette is a German word for a choker necklace, usually multi-strand. Like these, worn with many of the regional costumes of the German-speaking lands:

[​IMG]

The top and bottom one close at the front with a decorated silver gilt clasp, the center one closes at the back. They look beautiful when worn.

As a regional jewellery collector I can't see the AB clasp being worn with traditional costumes, but that could be a recent development I am not aware of.
    Generally AB is not something for traditional jewellery. The glass stones in the chokers on the photo above are regular faceted Bohemian/Czech glass and some cabochons, all of which are traditional.

The shapes of the clasps can vary slightly, some have a real Baroque or Renaissance Revival look, some are more influenced by later fashions, somewhat like the Jugendstil/Art Nouveau clasp in fid's link.
    Imo the Art Nouveau influenced clasp of the first necklace Lucille posted comes closer to the Art Nouveau influenced clasps on some of those Central European chokers.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The pale green beads at the top of the first necklace are stunning

Lucille.b and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted