Featured 2 Brooches Help Needed

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Jan 14, 2019.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I'm have a couple of brooches that I'm needing some help with.
    any information appreciated.
    thanks for looking.

#1 is a small bird or maybe a duck brooch, is this some character? He reminds me of someone, I just can't remember who. Crudely made, maybe pot metal back, not sure of age.
    DSCF3467.jpg DSCF3469.jpg DSCF3470.jpg

#2 are 2 shrimp/prawn brooches, maybe unsigned Hattie Carnegie?
    DSCF3471.jpg DSCF3472.jpg DSCF3474.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Can't believe you found such a similar duck pin, INH. Good job.

As a side note, I wouldn't call the duck a jelly belly exactly, the Etsy description says it, but usually means a piece with a clear, not opaque belly.

I think the plastic on the duck might be called "moonstone". If you Ebay search "moonstone duck pin" you will see the same material, but I didn't see this exact piece when I checked.

The shrimp are a little trickier. There are so many copies of vintage Hattie Carnegie pieces, might take a bit of additional research.

Cute. :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  4. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

CX, I wonder if the back of yours would clean up like the one INH showed? What is wrapped around the pin keeper or do you think it was a repair?
    Patd

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Lucille:) I'll check out 'Moonstone' and see what I can find.

Yes, the HC stuff is tricky. I wish I had the HC book, it would make things easier. I found several that say they are book pieces but they don't say the name of the book. Then I found a site that mentions 2 books (description below) no mention of HC, so I'm not sure what to think, I don't have either of these books. It would help to find one that is marked:)
    Description: Whimsical gold plated shrimp brooch with a coral molded plastic body, clear rhinestone stripes around its head and on the tip of its tail and faux pearl accents. Shown in both "Art Plastic Jewelry" by Leigh Leshner and "Rhinestone Jewelry -Figurals, Animals & Whimsicals" by Marcia Brown.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Pat:) The back is a silver colour. I polished it with a cloth as it was quite black when I got it but I don't believe it would clean up to a gold colour. lol, that is a bit of material that was stuck on the pin, I thought I had removed it all until I saw the photo.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@cxgirl, in looking for vintage, signed Hattie Carnagie, I found quite a few signed pieces, BUT NOT A ONE SIGNED SHRIMP/CRAWFISH/PRAWN.....whatever you want to call it!!!!! That's too bad, unless somehow you can verify it!!!:rolleyes:

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

all nice finds CX !!!!

the prawns could be from Happy Feet 2 !!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Aquitaine:) I couldn't find any either so I just ordered the HC book, should be here in a couple of weeks so hopefully there will be one in it, if not it will be a good reference book to have.
    thanks komokwa:)
    lol at Happy Feet 2

judy, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  11. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Hi cxgirl. I have the Leigh Leshner Collecting Art Plastic Jewelry book and your shrimp brooch is on page 57. I am sorry but I don't sell online and have never developed the skills to take a photo of a page and transfer it to here. Old dog/New tricks. :arghh:
    In any case, she mistakenly (I believe) describes your brooch as a lobster but doesn't identify the manufacturer. The description reads "lobster brooch with plastic body, faux pearls, and rhinestones. $85.00" The one she shows has a coral colored body.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Moonglow, rather than moonstone, i'd say.

cxgirl likes this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, moonstone is a natural stone, moonglow is glass or plastic made to mimic moonstone and is made in colors. I have had that blue many times and I just sold a bracelet set with pink glass moonglow.

I also agree, jelly belly has clear Lucite, not colored plastic or glass.

judy and cxgirl like this.
  14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct. Glow, not stone. Even Doris Day knows. I called her to check. Listen to the first few words.

Figtree3 and cxgirl like this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

that is wonderful, thanks very much for the information Sandra:)

thanks for the information bear and Marie, Moonglow it is:)
    lol, thank Lucille, love the musical interlude:)

judy and i need help like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

A little reminiscent of Donald Duck, but with the wrong type of cap! Really I don't know. Kudos to INH for finding the similar picture.

i need help likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The little duck is probably a 1940s to early 50s dime store piece. Cute little guy, but we'll probably never know who made it.

Draft saved Draft deleted