Featured $2 BTK image may be worth $5M

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by springfld.arsenal, Oct 14, 2015.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

EXCITINNNNNG!
    For years, I lived a few miles from Old Mesilla, NM, where Billy spent some jail time. He has always been one of my fantasy Anglo male "guilty pleasures" personalities!

cxgirl likes this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

4. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

The authenticity of this photograph is very much up for debate at this point. A ton of well known photo experts don't believe it's BTK. The major auction houses won't accept it.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks, Scantic... I saw there was a long discussion in the Victorian Images group on FB but hadn't been able to read the whole thing. And I'm sure that there are discussions in other places. I figured it was controversial.

6. ScanticAntiques

Not a problem! I'm personally on the side of it not being BTK. However, I also don't claim to be an expert, so my opinion is sort of moot. Though I must admit, I've voiced my opinion on the Images group quite loudly. lol

7. Figtree3

Ha! I will take a look at that thread. Last time I checked it had almost 100 comments. I'm sure that I won't have an opinion one way or the other, but I learn a lot from the discussions. Lots of photo experts in that group.

8. Figtree3

I looked at the discussion -- lots of loud opinions being expressed! :cat::cat:

9. ScanticAntiques

I'm certainly one of them (most likely for the worse), however, I'm sort of riled up because a lot of the very knowledgeable people were being disrespected by the Producers. Including saying "Their reign was over" in regards to their elite status in the photo collecting world.

10. Figtree3

I glided through reading it and did not focus on the personal attacks, although did see them. Not my battle, and I am not an expert in the areas in which they are battling. Also, I saw that somebody called it a "d*** slinging" conversation. Definitely not my area! I don't even like reading things that get into such rancorous back and forth. But as usual, there is information to learn there if one tries to glide over the personal attacks.

11. ScanticAntiques

100% agree! I'm just so confused by this whole tintype...

12. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Reminds me of the "boys on the barrel" thread way back when. That sure was an EPIC thread. We ruffled some feathers with that one.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It's more of what I don't like about collectibles and high fashion. Just because a famous (or infamous) person may be connected with it, the item becomes a hot property and commands a ton of interest.

When it comes right down to it, it's just an interesting photo, regardless of who's in it.

14. Figtree3

I loved that one... by the way, the National Geo channel show about the photo is on right now. I had forgotten... will get over there.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If I could own an authentic photo of William H. Bonney ....I would !

Because when it comes right down to it......it really does matter who's in the photo !

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

ScanticAntiques and GaleriaGila like this.
  17. Figtree3

18. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I listened to the podcast, thanks for posting the link. I'm not very knowledgeable regarding old photos, but what I think Wes Cowan said and implied all sounds good to me. Provenance is very weak and the best experts probably haven't had it to examine yet, and more forensic- type work needs to be done on other things in the photo, such as the structure, trees, etc

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Spring, I agree that Wes Cowan thinks the provenance isn't established and needs to be.

I thought it was interesting the perspective he brought from his experience with History Detectives, that anything that's going to be televised will have producers giving things a slant to attract an audience.

Figtree3 and springfld.arsenal like this.
  20. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I just finished watching the Kevin Costner Billy the Kid special on the National Geographic channel. I think it first aired on Oct 15th. Very very interesting.

If appears they definitely ID the tintype/pic location, facial recognition experts ID Bonney at 80% and Sally Chisum at around 85%, and the tintype coating whatever tested authentic to that era.The gg nephew of Sally Chisum had pics of his gg aunt that were strikingly similar to the presumed Sally Chisum in the pic. The pic presumably included some if not all of the Regulators, couple of women and a few others. It is thought it was taken at the time of a wedding of one of the Regulators. This explains the presences of the women and playing croquet. It seemed strange that Bonney and the Regulators were playing croquet; however, John Tunstall, an Englishman, on whose ranch Bonney and the Regulators worked before Tunstall was bushwacked had a crocket set.

A gg nephew of Sally Chisum had pictures of a Chisum roundup, moving the Chisum herds from the Chisum ranch up to the area where the tintype was taken. Sally Chisum was involved with the move. The cattle were being moved to get clear of the dangerous conditions around Lincoln. She is in a picture with the herders during the move.

Sally Chisum's diary has survived. She and Billy the Kid were involved for a short time. She mentions receiving heart shape candy from Bonney during the same timeframe. John Chisum helped Bonney and the Regulators after John Tunstall, their boss, was killed and the Regulators aided John Chisum. Chisum and Tunstall were on the same side of the Lincoln Co. wars.

Now, none of this is 100% proof the pic is authentic. I also am nowhere near an expert in this area, but the ponderous of evidence is substantial. The Natl. Geo special is good, but slowwww. They could have shown and said every needed in an 1/2 hour rather then stretching it out for an hour or so.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.c...ence/at/billy-the-kid-new-evidence14-2100466/
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/kevin-costner-billy-kid-national-811793

--- Susan

GaleriaGila likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted