2 Compartment Serving Dish - almost sure silverplate, but I'm having trouble with hallmarks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by gimbler-dave, Feb 2, 2015.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

I'm almost sure this is a plated piece, but the marks are throwing me for a loop. There are 2 sets on the back, one at top edge and one at bottom edge. Does anyone recognize the maker?
    db_2comp_1.JPG
    db_2comp_2.JPG
    db_2comp_3.JPG
    db_2comp_4.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That second mark is upside down. Should be C on the left and S on the right.

Apparently a recently identified maker mark because it's still in the "unidentified" category on 925-1000. Now showing as Continental Sheffield.

http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate__Unk.html

gimbler-dave likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

4. gimbler-dave

Thank you so much, that at least gives me a starting point. One of the stranger groups of marks that I've seen. Any thoughts as to the age? It looks like these guys manufactured into the 1950's or so.

5. gimbler-dave

6. gimbler-dave

Here's the corrected view of the key mark (and now you can see the "C" and "S"):
    db_2comp_5.JPG

7. Bakersgma

Given the dates on those posts, it explains the relatively recent update to the marks portion of the site.

As to age, I can't say that the range is so large that it makes much of a difference. Could be 20's forward, I'd think.

8. gimbler-dave

Thank you. We'll probably have it up on eBay later this week. It looks like their pieces do reasonably well, especially with the clean interior and low wear that this piece shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted