Featured 2 Cool Thrift Store Finds Today - Large Jadeite(?) Camel + Silver(?) 3 Headed Elephant?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Nov 9, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these 2 cool pieces (+ a couple of other, smaller Hindu/Buddha pieces - someone must have donated a collection!) at my local thrift store today & have a couple of questions, please?

The camel is fairly large (8" x 9") and it is heavy(!) - Is it made of Jadeite? What other stone is dark green with brown/gold veins & spots?

About the elephant - is the 3 headed elephant also a god/deity? (I've never seen this before). Who is the deity riding it - I think I've seen it before nut with a mouse as a friend?
    Could it be silver? (it's not as big as the camel (5" x 6") but it feels almost as heavy!

Thank you all as always for any information!

ART STATUE CAMEL JADITTE 1AA.JPG ART STATUE CAMEL JADITTE 1BAA.JPG ART STATUE CAMEL JADITTE 2AA.JPG ART STATUE CAMEL JADITTE 3AA.JPG ART STATUE CAMEL JADITTE 4AA.JPG ART STATUE CAMEL JADITTE 9AA.JPG
    ART STATUE ELEPHANT 3 HEADED SILVER 1AA.JPG ART STATUE ELEPHANT 3 HEADED SILVER 2AA.JPG ART STATUE ELEPHANT 3 HEADED SILVER 3AA.JPG ART STATUE ELEPHANT 3 HEADED SILVER 9AA.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The elephant should be Ganesha. Can't help with the camel.

3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I would think the camel is much more likely serpentine or some variety of soapstone.

Have you tested it in any way?

sabre123, blooey, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. aaroncab

Don't think you should assume silver on the elephant either, more likely brass or white metal. Have you tested it in any way?

sabre123, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  5. aaroncab

Another possible stone on the camel is buddstone aka african jade, which is a variety of grossular garnet.

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

If something that size was sterling, would expect some over-the-top quality in the elephant and not seeing that.

But disclosure, not an expert in this type of piece.

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I recognize the stone, some early 1950's pieces of Port Harrison Inuit art are carved using it, but it became scarce up there and you don't see it much anymore.
    The stone occurs in China too and it's a variety of serpentine. BTW your piece is Chinese of course, not Inuit!!

judy, sabre123 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Ganesha could be a zinc alloy. Silver would be much nicer :)

judy and i need help like this.
  9. journeymagazine

Do you know what the stone is called?

10. journeymagazine

How should I test each? (Thanks!)

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. crazycrowlady

crazycrowlady Active Member

Ganesh/Ganesha is a Hindu god prayed to at the beginning of journeys, for wisdom, and to remove obstacles (he was quite popular among my Hindu friends before tests in college :-D). I don't know about the elephant, I thought he was usually associated with a mouse.

As far as I know, the camel is just a lovely Bactrian camel. Don't know of any symbolism for them in Hinduism or Buddhism. They are popular with visitors to Mongolia and Silk Road countries - maybe a vacation memento?

patd8643 and 2manybooks like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

In London, Ganesha gets chucked in the Thames once a year. ;)

crazycrowlady likes this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

15. journeymagazine

i need help likes this.
  16. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I suppose you could call it variegated serpentine or soapstone.

17. aaroncab

Soapstone (or others like alabaster, marble, etc. ) would be fairly easy to scratch with a knife point or needle, you could try a small spot underneath near the felt. Some serpentine (along with others such as nephrite or jadeite jade, chalcedony, etc...) is quite hard and would be difficult to impossible to scratch with a knife point.

I don't generally recommended scratch tests on nice carvings, so, up to you.

Other ways to help determine would be testing specific gravity, hard to do with a piece this size. You could take it to a jeweler and have them try a jewelry tester on it and see what results they get.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    judy, sabre123 and i need help like this.
  18. PaintedBunting

PaintedBunting New Member

The 3 headed elephant Airavata is a white elephant who carries the deity Indra. In Thailand they have built an enormous shrine. The 3 headed elephant has strong meaning in Laos & Cambodia, as well. Check Wikipedia, for quick info.

P.S. GANESHA , the elephant headed god, is one of the most popular gods in the Hindu pantheon. " His image is found throughout India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bali (Indonesia) and Bangladesh and in countries with large ethnic Indian populations including Fiji, Mauritius and Trinidad and Tobago.[5]Hindu denominations worship him regardless of affiliations.[6] Devotion to Ganesha is widely diffused and extends to Jains and Buddhists." *Wikipedia
    "Looks like it might be a recast of a more finely cast piece."
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted