2 Dining arm chairs from Depression Era?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ashleytackett529, Aug 11, 2016.

1. ashleytackett529

ashleytackett529 New Member

Hi I recently bought 2 chairs from Goodwill for $24 together. I had planned on fixing up and selling until I found a paper tag stapled on the bottom of one that said the following:

Made by United Furniture
    Ronda, NC
    --------------------------
    Registry No. N.Y. 30773 (NC)
    This article was made in compliance with an act of: Dist. Of Col. Approved July 3rd, 1926
    Kansas approved March 1923
    Minn. approved Apr. 24, 1929
    New Jersey revised statutes 26; 10-6 to 18
    LICENSED IN MARYLAND
    Consisting of:
    Cemented shredded
    Urethane foam

The two chairs are wooden ornate spindle back arm chairs with leather seat cushions. They appear to be part of a dining set.
    I did some research and found very little info, but what I DID find was that the company was founded in 1921 and burned down in 1936. When it burned down the company dissolved and became United Furniture Corporation and moved to Lexington, NC. Anyways, I need as much info as possible about these chairs and/or the company that made them. How much are they worth?

Also, another person on another forum said they had a dining table with the SAME registry number and company name. He said that his was made September 1926.

For some reason this site won't let me upload photos at the moment.... Says they are too large.

Thanks in advance!!!!
    Ashley

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

At the moment they are worth $24........for that to change we'll have to see them.
    There are several threads here on how to post photo's from your phone after they are downsized to under 1 mb.

3. ashleytackett529

image.jpeg Here's a photo I had to crop down A LOT to get under 1 MB image.jpeg

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Interesting chairs but not too valuable. Value really depends on where you are and selling venue. Here in the Midwest, you would be lucky to get what you paid at auction. At retail, maybe $50.00 or so if fixed up. Maybe more in a nice big city shop. You already know a lot about them. I doubt there is any more information to be found and it really doesn't matter for value.

lauragarnet and komokwa like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

These chairs have been bothering me as was thinking 1970s.
    From the info I have found, these chairs are not from the 20's -30's.

The label just indicates that laws were established in the 1920s/30s that mandated the way things were made, and the company followed those laws.

It says Cemented Urethane Foam. This was not used until the late 60s. In fact the patent I found on it was for 1968. Polyurethane was indeed first made in the 30s, but not as seat cushions. This was a later product.

After Brad commented, I did a little more digging and found this. The chairs look very similar to yours. Says they were purchased in 1968 (almost the 70s).

Scroll down
    http://www.myantiquefurniturecollec...nited-furniture-company-dining-set-32605.html

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. ashleytackett529

Okay thanks so much everyone who posted! I bought these originally to be painted, reupholstered, and flipped on Craigslist. Just wanted to make sure these weren't valuable before I go doing stuff to it. For the record I live in Houston, Texas. BIG CITY. So I may check a few "antique places" to see if they think the market here would go for it or not. Also to get another opinion. I may be able to get more money just by making them more in style, sell them, and move on.

Thanks so much guys!
    Ashley

komokwa likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's the spirit !!!

You go girl ! :happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted