Featured 2" enamel pendant, copper backed signed on bail "STG"

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Purchased this a while ago, was taking some photographs for listing and just noticed some letters on the bail: STG. (Fairly certain those are the letters when looking through a loop.) I'm seeing some other pieces on Ebay signed STG, but nothing exactly in this style. Does not appear to be mass produced, ...or??

Not older, probably artisan and fairly recent, but curious if anyone can help me finding the maker. Thanks.

enam2.jpg enam1b.jpg enam4.jpg enam1.jpg enam9.jpg

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, judy and 8 others like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

STG is an older mark for sterling,you probably will never find out who made it.

Any Jewelry, judy, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya..Sterling !!
    Nice work though !!!!!!

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Made by an LC Tiffany fan, but that's all I've got. I'd wear that in a heartbeat, but I'm a copper junkie. (or junque-ie ) The bail is sterling. It was done by a professional probably, but there's no way to know who or even in which country.

5. Lucille.b

Helpful! Thank you, Holly.

Anyone...any idea what years STG was used for sterling?

judy likes this.
  6. Hollyblue

It is still listed as an acceptable mark in the U.S. FTC jewelry guidelines.

judy, Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My guess would be this is 1970s into the early 80s, but more likely mid to late 70s.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Screams late 70s to me.

9. Lucille.b

Thanks, all.

So would this have been completely hand done? Thinking there is a fair amount of work/artistry in it.

Not sure how to describe, or list. Ideas?

judy and cxgirl like this.
  10. Hollyblue

The photos aren't clear,looks like there are 2 layers of metal.If so,it was probably die stamped ,soldered together and then enameled.It could be a "factory" piece and assembly line assembled.

11. Lucille.b

From the side it is solid, not layered. Maybe can get a side photo tomorrow.

I have to say that it doesn't feel like a factory piece in the hand, but who knows. For the life of me I can't find anything similar online.

Keep the thoughts coming. Thanks! :)

judy likes this.
  12. Hollyblue

On the back surface it looks like 2 different types of metal with copper inserted into a "white" metal.

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  13. Lucille.b

Whatever is going on is pretty seamless. It looks like solid silver on the side, but you are correct with the copper it must be more than one metal. Can try for a side photo tomorrow. Thanks!

judy likes this.
  14. Hollyblue

It looks like the copper is in a "pocket",so you probably won't see anything with a side view.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Lucille. The design looks Art Nouveau inspired, so late 70s (AN revival) makes sense.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted