Featured 2 Green Glass Lidded Coupes/Boxes - Leaves

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by R. Antonis, Oct 20, 2017.

1. R. Antonis

R. Antonis Well-Known Member

Hi everybody,

I have received a couple of glass boxes and jars 2 weeks ago.

Here I have these 2 green glass coupes. (Is this just glass or pressed glass?)
    I assume it's mold-blown glass, decorated with leaves on the lids.

Age, and origin are unknown to me.

(I have bought it from somebody in France)

I would like to know more about them.
    Hopefully somebody could help me with it.

Thank you very much!
    R. Antonis

20171020_173055_resized.jpg 20171020_173101_resized.jpg 20171020_173131_resized.jpg 20171020_173114_resized.jpg 20171020_173150_resized.jpg

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Pretty! :)

judy and R. Antonis like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Moulded - not mould blown - and frosted glass, 1930s and on from the colour, probably once part of a dressing table set. The French were rather good at that frosted glass thing.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. R. Antonis

That sounds right. I guess if it's mould blown it should have a pontil mark then...
    I somehow managed to find an identical one:

https://nl.pinterest.com/pin/312929874091002594/

It's described as depression glass. Has this the same meaning as pressed glass by the way?

Thank you ;)

judy likes this.
  5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

6. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

First, based on Tallcakes correct ID, it's not Depression Glass.

Collectors define Depression Glass fairly narrowly. While the glass is pressed, to be considered "Depression Glass" the glass pattern must have been produced between 1930 - 1939 and it must be "machine made" with no hand finishing. Some of the manufacturers usally associated with Depression Glass are Hocking, Indiana, Jeannette, McKee, McBeth-Evans.

Glass produced by these same manufacturers but after 1939 is generally referred to simply as "pressed glass"

Tom Mackay, R. Antonis, judy and 4 others like this.
  7. R. Antonis

8. R. Antonis

Thank you for the explanation. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted