2 Italian? Oil Paintings

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 23, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I am guessing Italian? Doubt that they were painted by a famous artist, probably more like decorative pieces?
    The siggy looks like "Rossi". Early 20th C. or later?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Is he pulling a strand of her hair with his mouth, or is he blowing smoke at her? Strange angle!

3. kardinalisimo

4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

The round dark object in his hand looks like it has smoke coming out of it (pipe bowl). I "think" I see the slim stem to the pipe near his lapel.

I love the mules on her feet.

I just realized -- those are two different men and she is in two different (as least differently colored) outfits including her mules.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  5. kardinalisimo

Hm, two different man
    I kind of like them too but one of the paintings is in rough condition, loose canvas, rips and tears. The other is much better although showing quite of age too.
    I am finding signature only on one of the pieces.

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Different women, too, maybe?

7. kardinalisimo

You are right too. The women are different as well.

8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Or perhaps it's the same man and woman portrayed 30 or 40 years apart.

Interesting that both men have on a red(ish) in front, cream/tan in back vest/westkit. The darker red is on the younger fellow. Perhaps it faded to the orange-ish vest over the years.

9. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

With that Italian wine bottle in the background I think Rossi is correct? Rossi is an Italian surname.

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Here's the story: the elderly man is one of the "women are the inferior sex" ilk, and he cannot bear to be questioned, especially by his wife (the lady in the pink skirt), and especially when she is right, and very especially when she has a problem with him opening yet another bottle of Chianti. The couple's son is seen remonstrating with Mama for allowing Papa to browbeat her, and to try to smoke her out, which is a cowardly thing to do! Mama is trying to calm down Junior (who is threatening fisticuffs), because she doesn't want her son carted away by the Carabineri, and because doesn't want anything to further upset Papa in whom smoke precedes fire.

The next day Mama fills the pipe with a lovingly packed clump of dried belladonna, and Papa goes quite, quite mad and jumps to a liquid death in the Alcantara.

Peace to all.

Messilane likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted