2 Numbers on a WW1 Victory Medal

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by skerry, Jul 16, 2018.

1. skerry

skerry Active Member

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping that you can solve a mystery for me please. I've bought some medals and on a WW1 Victory medal there are only the numbers 37 where the service number usually is, which of course is always longer than 2 digits.

Any ideas why this is or is it just a mistake the engravers has made do you think?

DSC_0447.JPG

DSC_0449.JPG

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

If u wouldn’t mind revealing all the marks you’d get a better answer.

3. skerry

skerry Active Member

Good advice, thanks and done.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Have you got the British War Medal (Silver) that goes with it.
    Two numbers could be an error in the naming or a replacement or duplicate.
    Usually with a Sargeant it is abbreviated with SGT rather than SJT like yours.

Its Sergeant W.M DILKS of the North Somerset Yeomanry

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

He may have changed regiments and been given another service number.

I think this is your guy.
    Looks like he moved regiments 3 times and it was spelt Sarjeant at the time.

16226 Dilks, William M King's Royal Rifle Corps D/14763 Serjeant [1] North Somerset Yeomanry 37 Serjeant [2] King's Royal Rifle Corps D/14763 Serjeant.

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/GreatWar/KRRC/King'sRoyalRifleCorps_D.html

6. skerry

skerry Active Member

Hey Davey,

It never ceases to amaze me how good some people on here are at researching items, you are one of them. The information that has have given me is great and in such a short time, thank you.

Unfortunately I don't have the British War Medal that goes with it. I think your ideas are sound about why only the numbers 37 are on the medal and I guess we'll never really know the answer, which is why medals I find are a fascinating insight to a soldiers life.

Once again, many thanks for your time on this, it is appreciated.

7. daveydempsey

You are welcome, I collect medals too.
    I bought some last week from a guy which I thought was rather sad, he had no one to leave them to and he was emigrating.
    I bought his Army service medals, his fathers WWII and his Grandfathers WWI

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. skerry

skerry Active Member

That is very sad but at least you are a collector and interested in his medals, so that's something. As long as there are people like you then their sacrifices will always be remembered. All the best.

9. Graham S

Graham S New Member

Just seen this post, and yes Sgt Dilks other medals are still out there as I purchased his Silver War Medal yesterday.Named and numbered exactly the same.! Great to see the other one.

Draft saved Draft deleted