Featured 2 old paintings look like Alfonso Mucha but unsigned - part 2

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Apr 6, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I posted these before asking if they were worth the $100 each asking price. They sat in the thrift store manager's office & I looked at them every day until yesterday when I offered him $80 each & he accepted.

One interesting thing I found out - they are on leather, not canvas! And I am pretty sure they are painted because when I looked at them under a magnifying glass, I can see fine cracks in the paint on a lady's face?

So hopefully someone here can tell me more about these?
    Are they painted on leather? (I couldn't find many)

Is it leather? (the back of the "canvas" has a soft, fur(?) like feeling to it which makes me think it's leather)

When I sell do I call them 'antique painting on leather'?

ANY information/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

PS - 1st two photos are of the pair with & without the outer frame they came with

ART PAINTING ART DECO ANTIQUE PAIR LADIES MUCHA 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING ART DECO ANTIQUE PAIR LADIES MUCHA 5AA.JPG ART PAINTING ART DECO ANTIQUE PAIR LADIES MUCHA 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING ART DECO ANTIQUE PAIR LADIES MUCHA 6AAA RESIZED.JPG ART PAINTING ART DECO ANTIQUE PAIR LADIES MUCHA 6AAAA.JPG ART PAINTING ART DECO ANTIQUE PAIR LADIES MUCHA 3AAA RESIZED.JPG ART PAINTING ART DECO ANTIQUE PAIR LADIES MUCHA 7DAA.JPG ART PAINTING ART DECO ANTIQUE PAIR LADIES MUCHA 7DAAA.JPG ART PAINTING ART DECO ANTIQUE PAIR LADIES MUCHA 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING ART DECO ANTIQUE PAIR LADIES MUCHA 6CAAA.JPG

KSW, Figtree3, stracci and 1 other person like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think you showed these previously. Deborah suggested they were part of a 4 seasons set, which is most likely. I suggested the backgrounds were tooled, which is consistent with leather. I think they are very attractive and doubt you overpaid, but can't guess how much room there is for profit.

The name is Alfonse Mucha (not Alfonso). I'm reasonably certain these are not by him, but they may be from the same period.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/t...ed-worth-100-asking-price.69196/#post-4417399

KSW and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's your descriptor highlighted. This has a embossed frame which I would think would add to value.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 6.07.18 AM.jpeg

Debora

KSW and Figtree3 like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There are several similar items by Conrad Kiesel to be found inline, and the depictions seem consistent with his style in general. You could probably make a safe attribution. And the prices, if realistic, look like you got an excellent deal.

journeymagazine likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think it's a safe assumption that these are by Kiesel. And, if so, a very good find indeed. Condition matters so you might want to get them off the tile floor.

Debora

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

Thank you guys!
    Debora - I was just going to say that the link you showed me didn't have a signature either & did you think mine could be by the same artist?!
    PS - Yes they are getting off the floor now!

9. journeymagazine

PS - please take a look at the Haitian folk art painting I found today by P. Toussaint that I am posting now - most interesting painting I've seen in a while!
    PSS - this thrift store is getting some incredible pieces lately!

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I do think your work is by Kiesel. If unsigned, however, you may only be able to state "attributed to..."

Debora

journeymagazine likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

Thanks Debora - most of his is unsigned from what i saw?

12. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Personally I don't see nearly the same quality as the ones attributed to Kiesel. Arms, faces and hands not nearly the sensitivity shown in the attributed works (which could also easily be by other artists in his style since none are signed and no known history of him working on leather). Maybe it would help if you took pictures straight on and sharp focus to make them less distorted.

hamptonauction likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I only know what I've seen online. If it's going to be a $1K picture, then it makes sense to get a more informed opinion.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  15. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

But it's not just the medium that is being used that needs to be considered. It seems like the artistry is being ignored here. Compare the OP pic, with one of the ones attributed to him on liveauctioneers of about the same size. I really see no comparison. This is at best a crude "inspired by", and certainly not an "attributed to".

I agree it would be best to get an informed opinion. But journey never does - he just tries to get as much money out of it as he can in the shortest time. Which I understand, given that he is a picker/dealer not a collector.

[​IMG]
    pic.jpg

16. journeymagazine

Well I'm going to get an opinion on these - probably sell them through a auction house in West Palm Beach I've used before - they will have them appraised/inspected before auctioning.

17. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

They do not appear to be by the same hand.

hamptonauction and Pat Dennis like this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I was concerned about the rendering of the face and how bulky her arm is compared to her torso, but I didn't want to say anything before because - who am I? Certainly not an expert! But I just don't see the quality of an accomplished artist here :(

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Let us know what they say.

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. journeymagazine

Draft saved Draft deleted