2 Paintings 2 Questions - Info on artist Prather of antique painting + a unusual palette? painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 25, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these 2 paintings today while at my local thrift store today. The first one appears old (close up you can see paint is cracking), is a oil on board & signed Prather. I think it may be a home run but there are several Prather when I google Prather Artist -
    Any idea which Prather painted my find?
    Also(!) - Is it as good as I think or is it (please no!) another factory painting I've found?

The 2nd one is signed Pave - and reminds me of the J Roybal painting I asked about yesterday - her hair looks like it was painted palette style while the rest is a reg painting on canvas - is there a name for this type of painting?
    PS - Anyone heard of the artist Pave?

Thanks all for any help/info - I truly appreciate it!

ART PAINTING PRATHER SMALL PAINTING 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING PRATHER SMALL PAINTING 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING PRATHER SMALL PAINTING 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING PRATHER SMALL PAINTING 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING PRATHER SMALL PAINTING 9AA.JPG ART PAINTING PRATHER SMALL PAINTING 9AAA.JPG ART PAINTING PAVE 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING PAVE 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING PAVE 2AAA.JPG ART PAINTING PAVE 9AA.JPG

KSW likes this.
  2. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

The signature on the Prather painting does not look particularly old. The Pave looks like a 1960’s decorator painting. I’m not sue either could be called a home run.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To my eye, those are both commercially produced works. (Gold stars, by way, for the photographs of backs!)

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not my cuppa by a mile, but someone may like them.

6. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

The frame in the first photo is overwhelming.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Over elaborate frames are often used to give import to decorative painting. Natural linen liners were popular in the 1960s which is right for the label.

Debora

JayBee and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think you will find a buyer for the 2nd one at least. It has a real 60s/70s modern look which is popular with certain collectors.

Also I'm seeing quite of variety of pictures in Revel frames, so hard to put too much emphasis connecting the frame with the picture. But the frame itself might have value.

Here is a Revel frame (frame only) that sold. Ebay listing shows sold for $150, but could have had a best offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144141591012?hash=item218f8221e4:g:LZYAAOSwrq1hAhAt&nma=true&si=zsck%2BSoP%2FiWyxmSVBpQSxBVnzJ4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Also here is a set of very different looking paintings that also sold for $150, both in Revel frames.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403014800601?hash=item5dd58dd4d9:g:DkIAAOSwJ1NgDHd~&nma=true&si=zsck%2BSoP%2FiWyxmSVBpQSxBVnzJ4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  9. Lucille.b

Agree gold stars for showing the backs, but can we see the gold sticker on the back of the Revel frame. Is that from the framery?

10. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I thought it was a Michaels sticker but it's from a gallery in NJ

ART PAINTING PRATHER SMALL PAINTING 9BAA.JPG

Lucille.b likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I had a gold nude painting that I sold quite a few years ago. If I remember correctly it looked very much like yours. I think I only have the note from when I purchased it and the name I have is Pavel. I wonder if there is an "l" on the end of yours obscured by the frame.

I vaguely recall something about Mexico but it could have been the frame was from Mexico.

Houseful and Lucille.b like this.
  12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

13. Lucille.b

say_it_slowly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted