2 Pieces for help One studio? and the other possibly Portugal or Italy

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, Jul 26, 2020.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

D17901C0-9444-4478-82E5-99120FB6AACF_1_201_a.jpeg 93A6E081-2700-469E-9C26-04700DA4A0A9_1_201_a.jpeg FB874AE9-9D7D-4D6B-9E7D-A33843BC70B0_1_201_a.jpeg 23676E9A-ABE9-416D-837D-371582A2003F_1_201_a.jpeg BFAC63FB-657D-4902-A1FC-B40E02B186C6_1_201_a.jpeg

Hi,

Me again. The first item I wanted help on the siggie but I think I see James White now. I could not find anything on that but is it like a studio art piece? I am no good at pottery and the fact that it looks like a baking dish is throwing me off.

The rooster is a mark that I remember being either Portugal or Italian. I also think it is possibly a good maker but for the life of me, I cannot find it now or remember what it is I had no luck searching it either

Any help is very much appreciated

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would doubt your rooster is either Italian or Portuguese. Neither language has the letter "w."

Debora

3. gauntlettgems

Oh! Well darn, that shoots my memory right in the foot Thank you! Maybe t was South American

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Spanish doesn't have the letter "w" either.

Debora

gauntlettgems likes this.
  5. gauntlettgems

Dag nabbit! Thank you

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Maybe the mark doesn't go that way up. Could be M over I or H|3 or E|H. What looks like an incomplete cartouche could be a large C.

7. gauntlettgems

Or a U hmmm I just distinctly remember having a hand-painted piece with the IW mark I am almost certain it was this mark

Bronwen likes this.
  8. gauntlettgems

Does anyone think you could really cook in the casserole dish above? It does not look like it was ever cooked in and it is so pretty I would hate to ruin it that way Do you think it has another purpose?

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Probably more a serving dish than a cooking dish.
    Chips, salads.

gauntlettgems likes this.
  10. gauntlettgems

Draft saved Draft deleted