Featured 2 Pieces West Coast Carvings

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by cxgirl, Nov 14, 2017.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I picked up a couple of pieces and hoping to find some more information.
    Any information appreciated.
    thanks for looking
    #1 is a face, no mark to indicate by who. I think West Coast but can't narrow it down, not sure if that is possible. It is 9"H x6"D x 7 1/2"W. This is an odd one to photograph, the straight on photo makes the face look much thinner than looking at it in person, not sure why.
    DSC00480.jpg DSC00460.jpg DSC00461.jpg DSC00462.jpg DSC00463.jpg DSC00464.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

#2 is a hummingbird signed Art C II for Art Charlie II. No real mention of him other than he is the older brother of Ike Charlie.
    DSC05828.jpg DSC05825.jpg DSC05827.jpg

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The hummer is a more recent tourist carving....there's flocks of em...;)

The mask is Tsonokwa, the Wild Woman of the Woods.
    Done in beautiful red cedar , this Kwakiutl style & design was a popular first step in the student mask carving process.

In 1970, Tony Hunt established the Arts of the Raven Gallery in Victoria, BC, overseeing an apprenticeship program for aspiring young Aboriginal carvers.

A wealth of masks like this , from the Hunt family as well as many of their students were carved and sold there.
    They became popular with the tourist trade in Victoria, & launched the careers of many well known.....and lesser known carvers.
    Although some were signed...mostly the Hunt's, many others left the Island in the hands of a welcoming public , never to be associated with the artist who created them.
    The mask is identified by it's half moon style, overly thick amount of red cedar wood , and a lack of any real carving on the inside , for it was vastly more important to practice getting the face structure ... balance & symmetry , to where it had to be .

upload_2017-11-15_0-52-20.jpeg

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Interesting,thank-you very much for all the information komokwa:)

Christmasjoy, Sandra, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. komokwa

You are most welcome..!:happy:

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and judy like this.
  6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Komo is spot-on, as usual. I might add, if it was not entirely clear, that this mask is likely not by a Hunt family member, though certainly of that "school."

7. all_fakes

The hummingbird: pretty basic "flat" carving. As mentioned, Art Charlie II is the older brother of Ike Charlie; of the Nuu Chah Nulth tribe (previously Nootka) first nation Ahousaht band (Flores Island, 18 km northwest of Tofino). Ike learned carving from Art, and though Ike also likes hummingbirds, his shown below is somewhat more sophisticated than Art's, above.
    Not related to Simon Charlie or Stephen Charlie, Squamish (Coast Salish) so far as I know.

07-2r.jpg

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thank-you for the information all_fakes! I like the hummingbird you posted better:)
    quite the difference between the two.

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Cx, you find the most interesting items! Nice pieces.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and judy like this.
  10. all_fakes

That is part of the joy, in the process of coming to an appreciation of Northwest Coast Native art.....one begins to note how each carved or painted line can have an elegant curve and taper, with a balance between carved and uncarved areas; not just divisions, but subdivisions.
    There is nothing "wrong" with Art C II's use of forms; it is just that they could have been more developed, and more elegant, with a greater degree of "correctness" in the use of the native forms.
    And it does not necessarily indicate a lesser artist; even better artists will sometimes produce lesser works. The Ike C hummingbird is much more basic than some of his other carvings; if he were making a mask intended to sell for thousands of dollars, it would show considerably more sophistication and complexity.
    And one might recall Ellen Neel, one of the first women carvers: in order to make small totems that could be sold at Stanley Park for one dollar, she designed and produced simplified versions that could be quickly produced, though not exactly "correct." But she was fully capable of carving and painting larger and more sophisticated totems that rivaled those of her grandfather Charlie James.

11. komokwa

there are wall plaques.....and then there are wall plaques......

ya1.JPG ya3.JPG

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and all_fakes like this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks Lucille! Sometimes I get lucky:)
    Thanks all_fakes! I like the design of the other hummingbird over his - wings down vs wings up.
    Slowly I am noticing more on the pieces I'm finding. I really like the mouth on the face above, it is what makes the piece to me. I also like that it isn't painted, love the look of the wood. Looks great on my mantel!
    that is very nice komokwa. Who made it?

Christmasjoy and all_fakes like this.
  13. komokwa

Chuck Heit.....and early piece of his.....he has vision...& talent....

upload_2017-11-18_1-51-38.jpeg

14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

a friend was looking at the 'Wild Woman of the Woods' piece and found a signature:) - I'm pretty sure it reads Dick Joseph Campbell River BC. I found a biography on him but not finding any pieces of his work to compare the signature - maybe you know of some examples @komokwa
    I've fiddled with the photos to get the signature to show up
    DSCF2086.jpg DSCF2088.jpg

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  15. komokwa

One of those artists where the chances of finding anything online.....is slim.
    I'll see if I can dig anything up....:peeking::peeking::peeking:

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  16. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

How exciting to find a signature on that piece after all this time! Exciting when things like that happen. :)

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and aaroncab like this.
  17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thank-you komokwa!
    I couldn't believe it when he said it was signed, I had looked at it many times and didn't see anything. It is very hard to see, but geez, I should have noticed it.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. komokwa

old pencil siggys have a way of fading......worse if it's a ballpoint...

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  19. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. komokwa

those look to be later works...being more refined...

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted