2 small porcelain brush wash dishes? /help with Asian mark please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Dec 28, 2018.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I picked up these 2 little dishes at the GW & hope someone can help me out. I think they may be brush wash dishes.

#1 - Footed dish w/ scholars? The enameling? is fairly well done. It is 4 1/4" across & 1/2" to the side edge. I tried looking in Gotheborg for the mark, but as usual failed miserably. :(

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2) The second one has a figural shape & is 3 5/8" top to bottom by 3 3/8" across. I have several questions about this one. What is with the hammer in his right hand? Is it just the shape of the dish or is he holding something in his teeth? What if any is the meaning of the "bean like objects" on the bottom of the dish?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

The second piece is a brush washer.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

But the first one isn't.

Bronwen, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. bercrystal

Thanks MCT & Susan!!! :kiss::kiss:

What would be your guess on the age of the second one & what are some key words I could use to descibe it?

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Mill Cove Treasures

The first one could be but I'm not sure like I am about the second one. Hopefully, someone can ID the mark. I have seen some of these with figures sell for decent prices.

judy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  6. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

the first dish it mark Dao Guang Nian Zhi (1821-1850) but since it didn't have Da Qing in the front of Dao Guang Nian Zhi words,so i guess this dish came from Min Guo period 1912-1949 or mid 20th century,good luck!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  7. bercrystal

@Silver Wolf - Thank you so much!!! :kiss::kiss::happy::happy:

We are so fortunate to have members of this forum who are willing to help out others with these Asian marks. :joyful::joyful: I swear I try to figure them out on my own, but I think I have only been able to find one or two by myself. :p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

laura9797, judy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  8. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

at first i didn't recognize the mark,but doing little research i found it!:hilarious:

9. bercrystal

:happy::happy::happy:

Silver Wolf and judy like this.
  10. bercrystal

First of all I want to thank @Silver Wolf profusely once again!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

I listed these 2 dishes last Sunday & they ended last night. Unfortunately the buyers were not as enamored as I was with the little figural brushwasher dish. It ended with no bids with an opening bid of $9.99. :(:(

However, there were a few buyers who really took a shine to the other little dish. :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392220173154?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

For those members who do not like to click on links.

Small Antique Chinese Porcelain Dish Enameled Polychrome Scholar Design 4 1/4"

It got an initial bid within about 12 hours of being posted. I watched it go up all day yesterday & when I went out to pack up my stuff to ship out today it was at $the 51.10 mark. Since it cost me a whole $0.71 I decided I would be very happy with that amount but a little more would be alright. ;):D:D

By the time I was done it was all over with & I had gotten my message from eBay that it had sold. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: Needless to say there was an audible gasp when I opened the message. :D:D

All of the bidders were from China & it will be returning to where it was born. :cool::cool::cool: :happy::happy::happy:

I will never know for sure if adding the information about the mark is what caught the bidders attention or not. However it definitely would not have been possible without the generosity of other members of this board & I will always be thankful for the day I was invited to join this group. :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Holy cow, Peggy! That's fantastic!

13. Mill Cove Treasures

Wow. Congratulations!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted