2 Thrift store paintings w/museum? or auction #'s? on back - 1 Josette Faquet + 1 by Ernest?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 21, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

These are the final 2 paintings I found/bought at a local thrift store today. I had 2 more (including a cool one of a old man/Santa looking profile signed Audrey) but the manager told me $50 each and since I didn't know the other artists I only took these.
    One I found while there - the boats are by Josette Faquet; a well listed artist.
    And the 2nd's name is easy - Ernest - but I couldn't find him googling; but I bought the painting anyway because the big eyes seemed familiar? Does anyone know who this artist is?

Also they both have some kind of inventory number on the back - starting with 2 letters & then a series of numbers - are these from a auction? Or better yet, a museum?! (Speaking of which - both have 1 set of numbers written by hand + a set that looked like they were stamped onto the back of the canvas; would a auction house go that far?)

Since the Faquet is a well known artist, I am hoping Ernest is too!!

Any information would be helpful - thank you all as always!

ART PAINTING J FAQUET BOATS NAUTICAL PAINTING 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING J FAQUET BOATS NAUTICAL PAINTING 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING J FAQUET BOATS NAUTICAL PAINTING 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING J FAQUET BOATS NAUTICAL PAINTING 3AAA.JPG

ART PAINTING ERNEST 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING ERNEST 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING ERNEST 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING ERNEST 4AA.JPG

ulilwitch likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. journeymagazine

Does anyone know who Ernest is?

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Sorry Journey but I don't think anyone has much of anything nice to say about the Ernest painting.

JayBee, NewEngland, Branka and 2 others like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Do you mean Margaret Keane who painted the big eyed children in the 70s?

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't think you should be so sure about "Josette" Faquet as the artist of the 1st painting. First I don't think it looks like other works attributed to her. And second, why would the initials on the back of the canvas be FE?

"Ernest" is more likely a surname (again the order of the initials} than a given name.

7. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Museums would probably not ever consider stamping inventory numbers on the back of a canvas out of fear that the inks could migrate through to the other side. Numbers would either be written on the stretcher or on a museum label affixed to the stretcher.

kyratango, judy, reader and 3 others like this.
  8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Ernest painting maybe a student work

judy likes this.
  9. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Poorly executed paintings, both of them.

judy likes this.
  10. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Also it’s a bit of a stretch to call an artist “well listed” just because there are Google results for completed auctions at low end houses. There doesn’t seem to be any real biographical information or exhibition history for Faquet. This is usually an indication that you might be looking at a factory painting.

reader, kyratango, verybrad and 2 others like this.
  11. journeymagazine

Ok - but signature is a match

12. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Poorly executed both, amateurish. Wouldn't want them if they came free. :cool:

Tanya and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Nick Grady

Nick Grady Member

Could you explain why they are amateur’ish? I’m trying to find my eye with art so just looking for knowledge.

14. Cabrina

Cabrina Member

I think they're quite nicely done. Not to my personal taste,and maybe not worth much money, but if you like them, well then that's where the value is.

Nick Grady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted