Featured 20th Century 1955 Impressionist Oil Painting. Illegible signature, looks Taos/New Mexico but isn't.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lva483, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Hi, I'm looking for help identifying this painting.
    It was purchased at a second hand auction several years ago and unfortunately I know nothing about its origin. Originally I asked around and several people (and myself) thought it likely from the Taos/Santa Fe New Mexico region. I've done tons of research and reached out to several auction houses that specialize in art from that area who were unable to identify the artist, and most recently was told by a kind stranger there is no way it's Taos/NM. It was also recommended that I look in the direction of Southern Europe.

Oil on masonite board. Incised/scratched writing front lower left. First line is illegible followed by "1955" and "no 3". It measures (actual) 17⅝” x 11⅞” x ⅛”. Affixed to the reverse side is a aged gallery (?) blue and white sticker with pencil writing “82”.

There are some newspaper fragments on the back and after close examination, it looks like the language could be Spanish or Italian.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking a look!
    Sincerely, Liv.

PaintingMCM.jpg PaintingMCM1.jpg PaintingMCM5.jpg PaintingMCM9.jpg

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Liv!

Welcome to Antiquers.........

Others will be along to help.

Lva483 likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Where is the photograph of the newspaper fragments? Certainly looks like the Mediterranean, the Balearics perhaps.

Debora

Lva483 likes this.
  4. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

So the paper fragments are very, very small and hard to photograph. I used a magnifying glass on them. But if you look at the reverse photo, upper right corner is the largest one.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. At first glance I can see what you are talking about regarding the Balearics for possible locations. The search continues...

judy likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Out of focus. Perhaps you could transcribe the words/letters you see.

Debora

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the writing is Hebrew.........
    this kind stranger urges you to look in a direction you have not previously looked....;)

May the Lord bless your family...& aid in your search for the true facts of this outstanding work of art !

i need help, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

תודה זר חביב :)

kyratango, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hebrew! Well done! That broadens your search area.

Debora

Lva483 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted