24" TALL BRASS/BRONZE ? LIGHTHOUSE ANDIRONS.....

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Aquitaine, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi.....STILL thinning through Mom & Dad's "stuff".....even after 15 years!!! We have this pair of lovely 24" tall Lighthouse Andirons that they used in their large arched brick fireplace at the Cape....and they looked awesome there.....BUT nobody I know of can use them or has the house for them!!! The base is 14 3/4" across, the backings are all there, and they weigh 29 lbs each!! So, nobody's gonna want me to ship them:p:p:p!! I've google myself purple, and seen a few, but all smaller and none identical!!!! And can find no signage on them anywhere. Everything similar on Google is 16" tall!! Maybe they'll just have to go to auction when we die???? Anybody got any ideas??? Remember, I'm not an "eboo" person!! And how do I tell if they are Brass or Bronze.....I'm thinking brass, 'cuz I don't see a bronze 'patina'.....am I right??? Thank you, as always for any and ALL HELP, IN ADVANCE!!!!!

zzzFRONT  LGHTHSE 1.jpg zzz BACK LGHTHSE 2.jpg

komokwa and judy like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

WOW!

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I Love Them !!! And I don't even have a fireplace!

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Janette,
    I have three sets of andirons and I do not have a fireplace either.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.
    greg

janettekay and judy like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Thanks all!! Gee Greg, maybe you need JUST ONE more SET!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

judy likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Thanks....I like what they went for, for starters!!

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Aquitaine,
    It all started when I was living in Brooklyn, I had two wonderful fireplaces. So when we decided to move to New Jersey. I bought three more set sets of andirons.
    Unfortunately the house we bought had NO fireplaces.:oops::oops::oops:. I ended up selling two sets of the andirons leaving me with three sets. The house here at the Shore again had no fireplaces. Two of the sets I love very much, the third I would sell.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

judy likes this.
  9. T K Ammons

T K Ammons New Member

Can I assume ( I know, not a good thing to do - :) ) you no longer have these beauties?

10. Aquitaine

Hi @T K Ammons, and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!! Wow, I posted this 2 full years ago!!! And actually, yes, I DO STILL HAVE them! They still sit neatly tucked in a corner in our dry lower level! I tend to check things out, and then it goes right back where it was because I don't belong to any of the venues like Ebay, Ruby Lane, Etsy or any of them and have only sent a couple of things to Auction a couple of times! These things are heavy, if you read that post!! And you're asking because???

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  11. T K Ammons

T K Ammons New Member

WOW! Wasn't really expecting a response....let alone so soon. Weeeeeell, if I read the posts correctly, you live somewhere in the NJ/NY area? If so, I live somewhat close & would possibly be interested in getting these.....if they don't cost me my next 3 months salary. :)

12. Aquitaine

Actually, I used to live in northern NJ, (Saddle River precisely) but that was some 52 years ago, before I got married!!! Been in Massachusetts ever since just outside of Worcester, that lovely city everyone loves to mispronounce and make it sound like that Worcestershire Sauce!!!! But my parents, who were avid antiquers (more-so my Mom) bought them on Cape Cod back in the 80's. Don't know the condition of the Tappan Zee bridge now, but it used to be a 3 1/2 hour drive to head back to visit my parents way back! I don't imagine you'll be wanting to make that trip....no problem!! I'd have to get a quick appraisal anyway, have a very 'rough' value idea, but would still need to check!!! Should do that someday anyway!!! But Thanks for the interest......!!!

13. T K Ammons

T K Ammons New Member

Understand. You are correct in that would be quite the drive for us (NW Jersey, just east of 'the Gap'). Thanks for the update. Stay well & take care.

Aquitaine likes this.