25" Totem Pole Help

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by cxgirl, May 19, 2017.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I found this today, 25" and no signature. Hoping to determine maybe an age. I've never seen one with the speckled type design on the body, not sure if this is common or could help with who made it.
    A few problems with this, damage on the one wing, I think there is something missing, maybe toes, on the figure that is standing on the frog, the frog is missing part of his foot and several more areas.
    Any information appreciated
    thanks for looking
    DSC08372.jpg DSC08376.jpg DSC08377.jpg DSC08378.jpg DSC08379.jpg DSC08380.jpg DSC08384.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

here are some more photos
    DSC08373.jpg DSC08375.jpg DSC08392.jpg DSC08395.jpg

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

All-Fakes could have a better take on this nice sized, vintage tourist pole.

There's nothing wrong with the bears feet....he was just poorly reattached to the frog base at one time.
    The Thunderbird's wing chip....minor...to inconsequential....!
    The frog on the base...with a minor chip....is put there because frogs are stable low to the ground, and don't fall over much !!!:happy:

I see this as a generic , possibly circa 1940's..to .early 50's ....as there's no recognizable formline design to the painting....and the forms carved in such a soft flowing manner speak to the artist not having seen a real pole for a long time...and working from a past memory.
    The dots and frog base I see as Northern, while the green masking, large wingspan, and stylized bears nose look to be Kwakiutl in nature.

[​IMG]

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The patina on the wood looks like that period, maybe even a bit older.

cxgirl likes this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thank-you Komokwa and AJ!
    well that is good to hear!
    that is beautiful, Komokwa you certainly have a way with words:)

6. komokwa

thanks CX.....I'm a writer at heart.....

cxgirl likes this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I'm going to keep this for a while - would it be okay if I copied that out and attached it to the back of the pole?

8. komokwa

I have trouble sometimes with model poles made in the dead time ( late 20's to early 50's...) ....I'd wait to hear from Steve , to see what he can add..!!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'd add only that Komokwa has pretty much said it all. The lack of true formline designs points to a time in the 40s or 50s when many souvenir poles were made for sale, by natives who had not been taught traditional forms; for example Ye Olde Curiosity Shop in Seattle would commission them to be made by natives who were not really working within traditional cultural.
    It does not speak to me of any particular tribal group, though speckled designs are sometimes found in Nu-Cha-Nulth (Nootka) poles of that period. They were in a transitional period at that time, in terms of style.
    I'd say that this is likely native-made, but I could not guarantee that.

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you all_fakes:)

judy likes this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

That's a nice size piece at 25". Will you keep it for your own decor? It has a warm look, I like the colors.

cxgirl likes this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks Lucille, I do too:) Yes, it will stay here for a while, looks good on my mantel.

Lucille.b likes this.
  13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Little totem poles are one of my favorite room decorations.
    Then the mantle got full, and I put one on the hearth. Figured I could move it when I wanted to have a nice fire. Then there were two on the hearth, then three, then.....
    Now I can't have fires in my fireplace at all. Or books on the bookshelves. Or coffee on the coffee-tables. Or plants on the plant-stands.

komokwa likes this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol all_fakes, yes, I can see that happening. It is amazing how things start to accumulate:)

all_fakes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted