Featured 2nd time - stoneware crockery, with pictures.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LIbraryLady, May 15, 2017.

1. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Got all 3 of these for $5 at a thrift. Big crock w/ #3 is R. Ransbottom (thank you to Greg). That one is the keeper.
    Can anyone help me with the other 2?? Beige one is about 6 1/2 in. tall; Bwon one about 8" tall. Staff at the store said all 3 were donated by the same person. I had thought there was a marking on the bottoms, but now I think not. Interested in age/origin, etc., even the appropriate descriptors so I can google with a degree of accuracy. Are they likely to also be Ransbottom? TIA IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0436.JPG IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0444.JPG IMG_0445.JPG

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

5$ seems like a heck of a deal.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  3. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

The brown one looks like a preserve / canning type jar but need to see the top, should look like a wax seal type.

4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I agree. I find the brown one to be the most interesting of the group and likely the oldest/most collectable.

5. LIbraryLady

Never thought of a canning jar - I'll take another picture and add it to this thread.

I thought so too.

6. LIbraryLady

Here are pictures of the topsof both. The brown one does look like it could have been sealed; it is about 5 inches across. Please let me know your thoughts on it.

F.Y.I. the 3 gallon Ramsbottom is IMG_0470.JPG da IMG_0472.JPG IMG_0475.JPG IMG_0476.JPG IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0478.JPG IMG_0478.JPG IMG_0479.JPG maged where one of the handles is inserted, but will make me smile all summer long, once I get some geraniums into it.

7. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Yep a canning / preserving crock with finger prints of the potter no less.

Javamanjoe likes this.
  8. LIbraryLady

Finger Prints - that does make sense. Thanks for the tip. Now to track use the trace DNA to track down its origins.......

Javamanjoe likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I just hope he's not in the FBI database!

10. Melissa Brown

Melissa Brown Well-Known Member

The brown one looks like a nice old fermenting crock. The indentation/reservoir in the top is called a water lock. How deep is it? You put water in it and when you put the lid on it creates an air tight seal. They're used for making sauerkraut, pickles, and anything fermented. I'm a potter and I make them ;) do you have the lid?

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Melissa,
    Growing up on a farm we used the 30 gallon crocks for making sauerkraut. They had wooden tops and used to "burp" they would send clouds of obnoxious gas into the air. The top four inches of the kraut would turn blackish brown and be tossed.
    To this day I HATE sauerkraut. My Gram used to sell gallons of the stuff. People would drive three and four hours to get some of Grams stuff. Everyone loved it but me.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

12. Melissa Brown

Melissa Brown Well-Known Member

Hehhh...I think kraut is like cilantro, you love it or hate it! I love it. The best I ever tasted was made in Midway, Utah as a fund raiser for the town. They made it months in advance of this art show I'd do, bury it in the ground, and dig it up and put it on bratwurst on brown bread sandwiches!!! I can still taste them! I make my own kraut, but it's never as good as that Utah kraut!

And yes, that ferment burp :wideyed::yuck::hungover:

gregsglass likes this.
  13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Try using Albany slip in your search for the brown one.

Melissa Brown likes this.
  14. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

When my grandfather had a good day hunting, he would drag the deer carcass into the kitchen after it was dressed and had hung long enough, cut off a shoulder and put it in a crock slightly smaller than a battleship with his "secret" blend of spices and vinegar, put a board on the top and then retrieve "his stones" from under the scullery sink and put them on top. Every two days he would go down and "turn the meat".........and when you took the stones off the top, the damned board would "jump" about a foot with a whooshing noise.................I love sauerbraten, but I could never eat it if I had been the one to turn it just before it was cooked and served...........

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Partially fermented meat...oh my. I'll bet it was really tender however.

16. LIbraryLady

Wow/ All this from a thread on crocks. After Manson's description, I don't think I'll be eating sauerbraten any time soon.
    Melissa - the lip is 1 inch deep, and I do not have the lid, but it clearly was made to accomodate one.
    S.I.S. - thanks for the Albany slip tip!

Draft saved Draft deleted