3 Ballerina Drawings

Discussion in 'Art' started by Josh, May 28, 2019.

1. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Picked these up at a local thrift shop over the weekend. One painting and 2 what I think are 2 pastel drawings. I have a few questions about these.

1. The painting is a copy of Renoir's The Dancer, signed W. Parnell '20. The 2 drawings are signed W. Parnell '97. Do you think that these are from 1920 and 1897?

2. There is slight variation in the signature on the painting compared to the drawings. If they are the same and the time periods are correct, there could be a variation in signature after 23 years.

3. Does anyone know this artist? Any help is appreciated.

DSCF5667 - Copy.JPG DSCF5668 - Copy.JPG DSCF5671 - Copy.JPG DSCF5650 - Copy.JPG DSCF5652 - Copy.JPG DSCF5653 - Copy.JPG DSCF5659 - Copy.JPG DSCF5661 - Copy.JPG DSCF5665 - Copy.JPG

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice art work......1997 is more like it.....

Bronwen and judy like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Love ballet art. Always wanted to be a ballerina, but was not to be.

Bronwen, judy and komokwa like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bet he was born in '20.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Jivvy likes this.
  6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

My initial twitch was also 1997, but I'm having second thoughts. Can we see the full frames and the backs of all the pieces?

I don't think much can be ascertained from the first signature as it looks like it has been drawn over at least once and possibly twice.

I wonder if the last signature isn't "W F Parnell"... the second sig almost looks like "F W Parnell," but it's a bit scribbly.

Willing to share the geographic location where they were found? Might help to sort it, might not.

I suspect adept hobbyist with academic art training.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The first painting looks like it was labeled rather than signed & someone has gone over the yellow writing with black, choosing not to reinforce the '20.

8. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the replies. Here are some picture of the backs, but I doubt they will be helpful, the drawings look like they were probably done in the last 20-30 years. They were found in Lancaster County, PA. The one drawing has a framers tag from Florida.

DSCF5658 - Copy.JPG DSCF5666 - Copy.JPG DSCF5670 - Copy.JPG

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Jivvy

The frames say a lot about when the pieces were framed... not 1897.

I wonder if the "'20" is the artist's way of saying, "I've never been at the beginning of a new century and I don't know how to date a painting done in the year 2000?"

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my thoughts exactly......... it was confusing putting 00 down as a date..

Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  11. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Thanks, never thought about it being from the year 2000, probably a good assumption.

I know original frames can tell a lot about the age of the artwork sometimes. But there is a lot of antique art in new frames.

Thanks for all of the help.

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. Jivvy

Of course, but seeing the backs of pieces does inform the evaluation.

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted