Featured 3 brooches, 2 questions

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by drg642, Jul 26, 2020.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

I'm not going out to any sales these days, so I'm picking through accumulated "stuff" here at home.
    First question - do you think the yellow, green, orange cabochon is glass or something else?
    Second question - what are the attached loops on the goldstone mosaic pin used for? If just on the bottom, I would think for a dangle of some kind, but there is also one on the top. That one could be for a jump ring to wear as a pendant, but then that loop would show when worn as a pin, so I don't think it is for that. I also don't know if the attached pearl tassel could be original. I believe the pearls are real.
    pnss1.JPG pnss2.JPG pnss3.JPG pnss4.JPG pnss5.JPG

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The little ring is for a safety chain. It's very good mosaic, are you sure it isn't gold? That other one looks like a layered pudding: glass I think.

3. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

So it is OBB, thank you very much! It does test gold. I usually test everything, but didn't test this because the pin stem was kind of darkened and just didn't look like gold to me. Well, the pin stem isn't gold, but the frame is. The pin stem does not look replaced, but is not gold.
    So, that tassel does not belong there, right?
    I don't understand how the safety chain would work, off to go search.

kyratango likes this.
  4. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Saw quite a few with safety chains, but they didn't have the little loops so prominently visible. The loops seem to detract from the pin to me. Perhaps there was a fancy chain that was part of the design of the pin?

5. Ownedbybear

The tassel is fine. The safety chain would have been attached to that top ring - a fine chain with a safety pin? The only other option is that it had a faancy bale matching the one on the tassel, but I think safety chain is more likely. 1920s ish, and I bet it's 18 carat. The pins were often steel.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  7. clutteredcloset49

The glass one appears to be silver plated
    upload_2020-7-27_11-50-47.png

8. clutteredcloset49

Seems the links aren't working.
    Completeds
    upload_2020-7-27_11-56-29.png

kyratango likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

That back is later than Victorian, tho'. 1920s ish.

Draft saved Draft deleted