3 brooches not signed question.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Michelle Collins, May 9, 2019.

1. Michelle Collins

Michelle Collins Well-Known Member

I have these 3 beautiful brooches that are not signed. I see a lot of sellers on ebay state that some pieces they list are unsigned 'Weiss' or any other designer. My question is how can you tell if something is an unsigned piece by a designer. And if any of you can identify the designers of unsigned pieces, do you recognize any of these? Also What age do you think these are? I know they are quite old more from my mother-in-law's, mother's jewelry. 2019-04-22-17-51-26-190.jpg bow.jpg

IMG_20190420_151036100_HDR.jpg IMG_20190420_151103649_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20190422_085536261_HDR.jpg IMG_20190422_085614270_HDR.jpg

scoutshouse and kyratango like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

This type of pin back does not have the quality you would find in a designer piece.
    When I see these, I usually think mid 1960s lower end costume.
    But wait for others to comment.
    upload_2019-5-9_11-27-57.png

3. clutteredcloset49

Here the stones are glued in and discolored. Also not a sign of a designer piece.
    Usually, designer stones are prong set.

upload_2019-5-9_11-30-32.png

4. Michelle Collins

Thanks, very helpful! :) I feel bad coming in here asking all kinds of questions with no information to offer. Maybe after a while I will gain some knowledge.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree not high end quality. That back on the second two is often Beau Jewels or Judy Lee.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I agree - those pins weren't high dollar when they were new. Two of them are perfectly wearable. That top one needs help.

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle, don't feel bad, we love seeing pictures of jewels!

One thing to consider, no on polices eBay's listings so there are a lot of inaccuracies to be found there. For example, Weiss did not make jewelry, they contracted with "jobbers" to make for them to their specifications. The jobber may have made the same pieces in different colors for themselves or other clients.

Think of how many pieces are called Julianna. Julianna was a line of jewelry made by a company called D&E for a short period of time. Now sellers seem to use it to sell anything with rhinestones.

So be careful using eBay as a resource for IDing anything. Come here, we really do love pretty jewels :)

8. clutteredcloset49

Don't feel bad.
    We all started somewhere.
    The best way to learn is to ask questions. I can't think of anyone here who isn't willing to share what they have learned over the years. We need to pass on that knowledge, so ask away.

Just because you find something on the internet (ebay), does not make it so. There is a lot of misinformation that is passed on. Someone says something is so and another passes that misinformation as true. You need to investigate and make sure you have the correct info.

Jivvy, Michelle Collins and Xristina like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That's me too!. All I do is ask questions but the people on this forum are some of the most generous with their time and knowledge I have ever (not) met!. None of the bits of jewellery I ask questions about are valuable or particularly interesting to anyone else but my questions have been patiently answered and I have learned so much. There was a red letter moment the other day when I was able to help someone.......albeit only by directing them to a great website!. Now if only someone would ask a question about horses I'd be in my element!.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad, we like looking at Stuff.

Michelle Collins likes this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

And it's a different kind of treasure hunt. We might help you ID something really special. It happens from time to time.

12. Michelle Collins

That is what I told my mother in law. She had to clean out her closet (which is actually a room) and I helped her. We got to the back of the room and all of the jewelry boxes. She was like "I don't know if any of it is real?" She has always had big shopping addiction so I wasn't about to toss the boxes. Plus some of it was her mother's.

I found several Sarah Coventry pieces and asked her about them, she said yea they lived in Newark were Sarah Coventry all started.

So I found myself sifting and matching earrings and looking at stamps. I couldn't pull myself away. She was like "Are you sure you want to do this?" I told her: " I don't know why but I feel like I found a treasure and cant stop."

So now I have an addiction, partly because of her addiction. LOL. I will admit it. My husband thinks I am nuts. I had all of this jewelry spread all over the dining room table, the bar. I should have taken pictures, now that I think about it. He said: "it looks like a bunch of junk to me." That did not go over well, it only made me more determined to prove it was not junk.

So with all of the "junk" so far I have found 6 14k gold necklaces a 10k gold bracelet, a 10k pendant (not sure if the diamonds are real, but that is for another day) a silver shell cameo and 14k pair of shell cameo earrings, a bunch of silver and a lot of signed costume jewelry already mentioned Sarah Coventry, Coro, Weiss, Trifari, Monet, Vargas, Avon etc and some I am still researching. And my favorite is this brooch-pendant that drove me to this site to share it. It is really awesome looking and I wanted to know what it was. When and where it comes from, and here I am.

In addition she had all of her old 80's earrings some still on the card. I still have pearls to go through. I sorted it all so I can have some sort of organization to all of it.

So yeah, a bunch of junk. SMH. LOL.

13. Michelle Collins

Oh and BTW, I have a Horse pin in my treasure LOL.

Jivvy and KSW like this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

So when you are ready.
    Put about 5 - 10 pieces in one picture. Number each one. Turn them over - take a picture of the backs with corresponding number next to the correct back.

Then we can refer to the numbers when we respond.

Jivvy, Lucille.b and Michelle Collins like this.
  15. Michelle Collins

LOL, sounds like a plan.

Jivvy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted