Featured 3 Court Magazine Portrait Engravings

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, May 21, 2019.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

5B56068A-7FEA-4679-9627-427E36E16313.jpeg FF1D7B57-A2C6-48F1-95B4-3B9ABD2F996E.jpeg 063C12AA-6361-4D58-BDD6-DBB4AF4C8F9B.jpeg 65C01650-E209-4A1A-9391-0A3D725A9956.jpeg Trying to figite if these have more significant value or not?

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

How old is the magazine they were taken from?? They're interesting!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. kardinalisimo

I think 1840’s.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  5. kardinalisimo

I find nothing for sale but mostly museum examples.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I thought I knew what they were from... one of " (TH) Lacy's Dramatic Costumes" collections.

Then I went looking and the Lacy pieces seem like simplified copies? Or maybe just hard to sort from the available images. But now I have no clue if these are related to Lacy in any way other than he well may have copied them.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The National Portrait Gallery, London has this annotation on the print of Lady Jane Grey from the same Court Magazine series:

Lady Jane Grey

by Edward Hargrave, after Adriaen van der Werff
    hand-coloured engraving, published 1840
    9 in. x 5 5/8 in. (230 mm x 143 mm) image size
    Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966

This portrait

This early Victorian print was produced for a popular women's magazine, which combined short stories and poetry with society news and fashion. It is announced as 'An authentic portrait engraved exclusively for the Court Magazine' but is, in fact, an adaptation of the Heroologia portrait. It is unlikely that the artist was aware of the original full-length portrait of Katherine Parr (NPG 4451) on which the Heroologia image is based. Rather than historical accuracy, the print focuses on the sumptuous costume of gold brocade, ermine and jewels.

https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw194312/Lady-Jane-Grey

----
    Also, there is this site, with pricing of a portrait of the Empress Josephine from the same series:
    https://www.grosvenorprints.com/stock_detail.php?ref=24120

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. kardinalisimo

Thanks for all the info. So, modest value.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted