Featured 3 crowns

Discussion in 'Silver' started by antidiem, Aug 19, 2019.

1. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Hi, please I need some help to identify this set. I don't even know what to call this set. It's so heavy, not sure if it's all silver or not, but I think so. My eyesight is bad, I didn't see any other writing. In fact, I didn't even see the 3 crowns until I reviewed the photographs!

These look almost like something "student made" and I think they could be circa MCM. Way too heavy to use as salad utensils, but I don't want to ask for melt value without checking here first, thanks.
    2LgSilverUtensils1x.jpeg 2LgSilverUtensils2x.jpeg 2LgSilverUtensils3x.jpeg 2LgSilverUtensils4x.jpeg 2LgSilverUtensils5x.jpeg 2LgSilverUtensils3y copy.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Made in Sweden?

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Silverplate by Three Crowns...

~Cheryl

5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

6. DragonflyWink

Pattern is 'Ingrid', designed by Royal Hickman...

~Cheryl

7. DragonflyWink

Heh, that thread only shows a few of the dozens of ads and examples of pieces bearing the marks of Three Crowns, Royal Hickman, Studio Silver Smiths that I have in my files - this set is found with all those marks, and the occasional added 'Quadruple Plate' (clear evidence of the term still being used into the mid 20th century).

~Cheryl

8. antidiem

Thank you all so much! Cheryl, I see you id'd it over there! Thanks!!

On one page of the THREE CROWNS forum, the moderator says it's "solid silver" but I think NOT. In looking at all of your researches, mine would appear to be silver plate. (Not sure what to do with 'em now! Are pawn shops best for these?)

They cost $5.95 in 1951. Does this seem "in line" with silver plate and not solid silver? @DragonflyWink

9. DragonflyWink

There's a 'THREE CROWNS forum' somewhere?

I've handled them before, they are definitely silverplate, all advertising describes them as such, usually as 'quadruple plate on copper', and they are sometimes found with visible plating wear. Can't imagine a pawn shop would want them, I threw my last set into a lot of mixed silverplate flatware - the salad sets are pretty common, and don't really sell well if properly described (and really, they'd be marked as sterling if they were)...

~Cheryl

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

11. antidiem

I'm sorry, Cheryl, I didn't mean to mis-type-speak! I meant the link you sent with the forum talking about 3 CROWNS. Really appreciate that you ID'd this over there! :)

WOW FID THANKS! I guess I will have to check into selling these after all. Perhaps I will sign up for an account on chairish to watch them!

scoutshouse likes this.
  12. DragonflyWink

Ahhh, still not seeing where anyone said they were 'solid silver', only mentioning that if it bore a proper Swedish three-crown mark (cat's paw), which these items do not bear, it would be at least .830 silver.

Hehe, Chairish and 1st Dibs prices are just so ridiculously optimistic most of the time, suspect they cater to those with unlimited budgets and designers for that same clientele...

That is the mixed metal set, not the same very common pattern as yours (it is the same set asked by the OP in the SMP thread) - it is not as common, but one would be incredibly fortunate to get that kind of money for it. A quick search of eBay finds 28 listings for the Ingrid salad set or its variant without beading (including the fork alone and some with additional pieces), starting at the low end with a $5.32 +shipping BIN/Best Offer - there were no 'solds', though among the 'completeds', there was a small ladle that sold after 3 bids for $2.30 with free shipping, and a pair of small leaf dishes sold for $4.99 +shipping, some slightly better results can be found for mostly holloware pieces when the Royal Hickman name is used.

Some of the Royal Hickman/Three Crowns holloware is very nice, and can bring good prices when found, here is a set of the copper double candlesticks with pottery balls (likely Haeger) currently up on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-CO...690997?hash=item3b00ee59b5:g:ypgAAOSwfWpafeHP

And more holloware pieces:

threecrownsroyalhickmancopperceramicvasecandlesticks-1.jpg

threecrownsroyalhickmanteacoffeeservice-1.JPG

threecrownsroyalhickmanfishcoffeeset-2.JPG

threecrownsroyalhickmanfishcoffeeset-3.JPG

threecrownsroyalhickmancopperceramicbowl-1.jpg

threecrownsroyalhickmancandleholders-1.JPG

~Cheryl

antidiem, scoutshouse, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Love! the pieces with the pottery balls! Must find!

14. DragonflyWink

Yeah, I find the bowl particularly lovely, it's on my want list too...

~Cheryl

15. antidiem

thanks all i will respond soon am on a borrowed tablet atm..

scoutshouse likes this.
  16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If you find plated silver with three crowns it is probably from Pottstown Pennsylvania. The three crowns mark was used 1946 to 1965. The company was Three Crowns.
    greg

scoutshouse and antidiem like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted