3 Japanese Woodblock Prints

Discussion in 'Art' started by Josh, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Found these 3 woodblock prints today and was wondering if anyone might know who the artists are?

DSCF1295 - Copy.JPG DSCF1296 - Copy.JPG DSCF1294 - Copy.JPG DSCF1299 - Copy.JPG DSCF1300 - Copy.JPG DSCF1297 - Copy.JPG DSCF1302 - Copy.JPG DSCF1303 - Copy.JPG DSCF1301 - Copy.JPG

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The first one isn't Japanese. It's by someone named Elyse Ashe Lord (1900-71) and was published in 1927, titled Concert. If you look at the siggy, it does say Lord, even if written vertically. Don't really have any other details.

Here's a bit of biographical info:
    http://www.campbell-fine-art.com/artists.php?id=146

They might all be by her. That could be an E starting that second siggy.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Bakersgma likes this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Those are really pretty. The second is also by her, called "Philosopher."

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

And the last one, "Prayer."

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Now the question is: are they original drypoints, or reproduced prints?

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

They're all lovely....

7. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

moreotherstuff & janetpjohn, thanks so much for the identifications. I would say these are these are original drypoints. They were sealed in matting and I went ahead and seprated the matting to try and get a better look. From the quick searches I have done it appears that the last two were supposed to be numbered. Unfortunately it looks like these were trimmed to fit the mat, instead of buying a mat large enough to fit the picture. Still beautiful pieces and will make someone happy to have them as the Asian pieces don't really fit my style.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Any trimming....done to any print , will almost certainly destroy it's value, to that of a nice wall hanger.

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I actually skipped this post a few times thinking it would be yet more woodblock prints , of wich there are a plethora. I was totally blown away , these are lovely !

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

True in the "real" world and with high-priced prints, but it may not matter on eBay, especially with moderately priced ones.

11. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Yes the prints being trimmed does cut down on the value. But for some people who just enjoy the art it will not be such a big deal, especially since they won't have to pay "real world" prices.

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The originals should be hand colored drypoint etchings? These don't look right for that medium.

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

14. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

verybrad, after further study you are right these are prints, not etchings

Draft saved Draft deleted