3 matching miniatures...age?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lucille.b, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

These were at my consignment store, $2 each, could not pass them up. Not high art or anything but they are miniature oils, glass cover on each.

I'm thinking they might have been tourist pieces from some other country. The frames are tin I think, seem to have some age. On that topic, anyone take a stab at age? I'm sure they are at least 50 years old, would not be surprised to learn they were from the 1930's or 40's.

Measure approx 3"X4". Each is signed, but unreadable.

Photos taken in direct sun. (These look much more subdued and darker in indoor light.) Got a bit of reflection on the glass. Thanks for taking a look.

Was planning to list on Ebay, so was hoping to take a stab at age. Anyone ever seen/sold similar?

aa1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

They're very nice.

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love these... they look like European scenes to me, and probably tourist items, as you surmised.

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Style of the art suggests pre-WWII. Frames are consistent with this as well. Can we see the back?

5. Lucille.b

Two have this wire hanging piece, one has a hook (not sure which of the two was original.) Also here is a photo of the backs, hard to see this in the photo, but it is sort of a "velvety" material. Thanks.

pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am guessing these are fabric over wood since the nails and the screw-eye have to have something to go in to. I believe the wire hangers are probably the originals. This construction is consistent with the earlier dates. If they were from the 50s or later, we would probably see cardboard. That extra twisted trim is something that probably would not have been done at a later date.

The style of the art is a sort of primitive Hudson River School look that was popular in the 30s or so and made for mass consumption.

7. Lucille.b

Thanks, Brad. That is very helpful. I'm glad you asked about the backs because I probably would have listed with the photo (that makes it look like cardboard on the back) without thinking... You probably helped the auction results!

Also thanks to Bev and Fig. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted