Featured 3 ruby bowls

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by antidiem, Feb 28, 2020.

1. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Each measures 5-1/8" wide across the top. Got three for $20 and likely overpaid, but they are very pretty. I have no idea what these "eyes" are called, nor what circa? All helps appreciated.

Red3Bowls0x.JPG Red3Bowls1x.JPG Red3Bowls2x.JPG Red3Bowls3x.JPG

Figtree3, KSW, quirkygirl and 2 others like this.
  2. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Very pretty. The Metropolitan Museum sold ruby-cut-to-clear glass replicas of Sandwich Glass bowls with "thousand eyes" optic glass. I've seen others that are Bavarian/Czech glass. I don't think you overpaid, but I love colored glass.

3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

If you tap them with a wooden pencil I'll bet they ring like a bell.

Probably ca. 1865-75

These are ruby cut to clear. I doubt there is a 'name" for them. It might have been called "Polka Dot."

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I saw a beautiful necklace made of beads like this. It was £75 so I doubt you overpaid!

5. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

6. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Either similar or exact. Hooray for the Quirkygirl.

NewEngland likes this.
  7. antidiem

Thank you all so much for taking a look at these and finding more about them then I could.

As much as I would love to believe these are circa 1865-75, there are no actual wear marks on them, so I think it likely these are vintage Cristal D Argues Mandelieu Honeycomb bowls... BUT HERE IS THE PROBLEM: I asked the seller of the ebay bowls to double check her dimensions for me please, and she confirmed hers are a much different size than mine.

Mine measure 5-1/8" across the top and are 2" tall. Ebay Seller's are 5-5/8" x 1-1/4" tall. She doesn't show them from the side view, so I cannot perceive the size differences in her photos. Would it be probable that mine are the same brand, but were not widened as much as hers were in the manufacturing process? I believe the widening could have caused less height overall. <<Does this sound right?

Just seems bizarre the size differences that cannot be discerned from the photos of both when compared! Any thoughts on the size differences will be greatly appreciated.

KSW and Figtree3 like this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

9. antidiem

THANKS, SIS! WHAT A HAUL OF 'EM!! Maybe mine can languish in a kitchen cabinet while I wait for the smoke to clear! I bought 'em to use 'em for ice cream! ;)

I wonder what these bowls "really" are - they "feel old" and have weight to them, would the crystal in the glass make them feel heavier?

Oh yes, they sure do! Thanks Cherryhill!

All of the examples, including mine, appear to have absolutely no wear on them. Maybe people thought they were just too pretty to eat off of? It almost seems like these have all been in some storage after they were manufactured. I wonder why we do not find more of these?

10. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I like them !!! and yes..people probably did think they were too special to use !!!
    Enjoy your ice cream!!!

antidiem likes this.
  11. antidiem

This is the reason I haven't used them yet either! :( :smuggrin:

Draft saved Draft deleted