30th anniversary

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Catlovr, May 2, 2018.

1. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

Does anyone know of a good jeweler, that is reputable and fair? Wife wants a pink sapphire ring, I know jewelry mark up is ridiculous, and im a bit overwhelmed and dont want to get ripped off. Thank you!! Im in the U.S. if that matters.

judy likes this.
  2. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

She is looking at a 2ct emerald cut ceylon pink sapphire with 6 side diamonds totaling .25 ct tw. The center stone is heat/color enhanced and is in a 14k wg mounting.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

I don't want to list the company in the open forum but can give details in pm. Thanks again.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  4. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If heat treated I would pass since after a time the heat treatment will make the sapphire much paler. I am a not an expert of stones but have always stayed away from any treated stones. I may be an alarmist. Wait for the "jewelry" experts to chime in.
    greg

judy, yourturntoloveit and Catlovr like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's pretty, but not my style in the least; I'm decidedly un-fond of treated stones. A real pink sapphire is a whole different ballgame. The one in the picture to me looks like costume. Then again I generally only buy pieces my age or older, so....

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Unless the stone has been tested by a reputable lab like GIA,etc. few people know if a stone is heat treated or not.For over a thousand years rubies and sapphires have been heat treated at the mines and gone through many hands before the stone cutters.

Heat treatment history...... http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/brief-history-heat.htm

8. evelyb30

Some stones you can just tell, and some are heated as a routine or standard. Most ametrine is heated these days to produce the two colors. Aquamarines are often heated to reduce or eliminate the green tint. (I like them better as found, personally.) Citrines are generally heated these days too. Others are harder to spot, but if it's a flawless stone in a ho-hum setting, you pretty much know the score.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

I can also get untreated from this company, I'm more concerned with finding a good source/jeweler.

judy likes this.
  10. evelyb30

I might check out Blue Nile. They sell decent quality merchandise and do have a ring similar to the one you posted. It might be worth checking on Etsy too; they're likely to have artisan pieces.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

every Kiss begins with Kay !!! :happy:

judy likes this.
  12. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

:kiss: :hilarious: !

13. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

Kiss? Ill just get her chocolates then...:p

judy likes this.
  14. evelyb30

I just saw a vintage 10k and pink sapphire ring on Etsy, no side stones though, that cost about what some really good chocolates do. It was unfortunately a size 6.5 ... or fortunately, since it's old enough for me to like it.

judy likes this.
  15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I would think an individual jeweler who has been in business in the same location for a number of years, would be a good person to start with. They have more to loose in terms of reputation.
    Shop at least two or three, ask questions. Find someone you are comfortable with and answers your questions in a manner that teaches you.

I would stay away from chain store jewelers simply because they buy in bulk, in order to stock all the stores with the same merchandise. The jewelry is all the same at each store. Their reputation is based on the chain's reputation.

16. evelyb30

I agree. If you're buying at a store, go with a locally owned one that's been around for a while. Places that handle estate pieces would be even better; they tend to really know their stuff.

judy, Any Jewelry and Huntingtreasure like this.
  17. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

I agree about the chain stores I never step foot in them, been burned in my younger days, live and learn. This is a big milestone, just wondered if anyone knew of a quality jeweler, internet presence does not bother me if reputable.

18. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Where you live might help.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Your right....only in as much as a jeweler in your area....you could walk into ....look em in the eye....shake hands....touch the merchandise .....
    You know.....the personal touch !

Draft saved Draft deleted